Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay_7bsc

Besieged by Buzzards

jay_7bsc
12 years ago

We are under a siege of buzzards. They are dancing on the tin roofs of a garage and an old granary in a most macabre kind of way. They are swooping onto the porch and beshitting it most unpleasantly. They are most unpleasant visitors. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one can humanely rid one's yard of these Faulknerian horrors? I've talked with DNR, and they suggest not leaving any food out to tempt the buzzards and to scare them away with loud noises. Keeping the pet food under lock and key is not too difficult, and that seems to be helping a little. Loud noises, on the other hand, don't seem to faze these carrion fowl. I've screamed loudly at them to no avail. Their reaction to screaming is just to perch in a row on a dead tree limb and glower menacingly.

DNR informs me that buzzards are a Federally protected species and to kill them is unlawful. I don't want to harm them as I realize they perform a fine service to our environment, but I do want them to find another place to call home. If anyone has had experience with the humane relocation of turkey buzzards, please share your ideas. Thanks.

Comments (3)