Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannadoit

If you order plants or seeds...what online sources do you use?

cannadoit
14 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which online sources they use the most, which ones have been the best for them ect.

Are there any sources within the Carolina's you use to get plant or seed materials?

I just received an order from Rob's Violet Barn today, and it got me thinking...I'd like to have some references for good sources from gardeners in my area, who have some of the same promblems...or wants that I have.

Let me say....Rob's really does take a lot of care in preparing their plants for shipment! They spent more in shipping supplies than I spent in Hoyas! lol

It was inside a foil bag, with the air pockets surrounding them, each individual plant was wrapped in black plastic to keep the soil in the pots, then wrapped again in thick white paper and stapled at both ends.

The plants were a touch small for what I paid...but, I'm cheap, another Hoya lover might think it's normal to get small plants mailorder.

I'd really like to hear who you purchase from online!

Here is the very short list of online nurseries I buy plants from:

Pepper's Greenhouse ( www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com)

Rob's Violet Barn (www.robsviolets.com)

Jungle Cactus ( www.junglecactus.com)

Comments (16)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    14 years ago

Your post might be zapped for advertising. Careful what you post.

• aezarien
    14 years ago

I have only ordered seeds once online and it was from an ebay seller. Not even one of the seeds came up so that sort of killed my spirit for ordering online.

If memory serves me correctly, Cameron had posted something on her blog about some seeds she ordered last fall but I can't remember where...

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

I have ordered seeds every year for 20+ years and have had good results with the orders. Most have been to Park, Select Seeds, Johnny's, and to Thompson & Morgan. T&M was amazing more in past years when their catalogs offered so many unusual things, and their catalog is just what you need in Dec-Jan weather. One year I ordered from an individual and got an unusual and scary weed with the seed - just bad luck for the seller and me. Fortunately that weed doesn't like NC conditions and didn't come back the next year.

Hope others will provide some local sources. I also succumb to the seed racks in the big box stores and at New Garden here in Greensboro. Growing seeds gets me through the admittedly short NC winter in a more cheerful frame of mind, and winter sowing eases space limitations under lights on laundry room shelves. I have had very good results ordering bulbs from the Pantego NC family owned business and also from Tulip World, and plan to order from others. (We CAN grow Tulips that will come back for a while here - see NCSU sheets available on line.)

For plants I love NG mentioned above, always squeeze in at least an annual visit to PD in Juniper Springs, love BBs in Sanford, the Raulston Arboretum at plant sale time, and the Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market which is amazing. You can also get fruit, veggies and meat from local family farms there.

Sorry - rambling but a favorite topic. I also find deals at the big box stores like most of us!

• cannadoit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wasn't trying to start anything...I just wanted some referrals from locals is all.

I need to start exploring my state! lol I betcha Clemson has a killer garden someplace.

I used to love going walking at the arboridum in Greensboro. It was relaxing...and things were gorgeous!

• drippy
    14 years ago

Parks Seeds is in Greenwood, SC - about an hour south of Greenville. I was there last weekend for the Carolina Festival of Flowers, and they have neat trial gardens, and were selling plants and seeds. I don't know if the gardens are open to the public on a regular basis.

I order seeds from many online sources - T&M, Pinetree, Gardens North, Swallowtail Gardens, Botanical Interests, to name just a few. I probably could singlehandedly keep some of them in business, LOL!

• transplanted2scin07
    14 years ago

I like ordering plants from Bluestone Perennials. Although the plants are small, they have a great root system and are well packed for shipping (although I don't like the peanuts they use). I had a problem one year with some hostas not being properly hardened off before they shipped them to me and when I asked about my options they offered to send replacements at their expense. No hassles.
    They have a GREAT selection and still mail catalogs.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

Cannadoit - Dottie wasn't accusing you of anything. The GardenWeb rules forbid mentioning any business by name, for any reason, under any circumstances. But things have relaxed a bit nowadays and no one seems to be monitoring things. Just don't be surprised if this thread gets pulled. They consider mentioning a company name as a form of advertising, regardless of the intent.

As for seeds or plants - I used to shop everywhere online and couldn't wait to see that box waiting for me on the porch when I got home from work. But now that I've lived here for 9 years I know my way around better and can find just about anything I want locally. Even the hard to find obscure organic/heirloom vegetable seeds from Baker Creek are now available off the rack at my favorite downtown Raleigh Garden Center (Logan's). For mainstream summer annuals I shop at all the garden centers on the south side since that's where I live, with Bbs down in Sanford and Campbell Road on Tryon being favorites. For truly unique odd ball stuff I hit Plant Delights which is conveniently nearby. I have one favorite place I still shop at back in my home state of Oklahoma (Bustani Plant Farm) but I usually pick stuff up when I am home visiting relatives.

I shop differently now than I did in the past. My garden is pretty full so now I seek out the plant online and look for sources. When I see something that I think will work for me (often from a thread here on Garden Web) I google the heck out of it and track down a source. I have splurged and bought seeds from all over the world that way. But I no longer have favorite seed or plant catalogs.

• cannadoit
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't intend for my post to seem as though I thought anyone was pointing fingers at me. I'm sorry if it came across that way.....I just didn't want asnyone to think I was trying to start a big fuss by asking.

It sounds like you are in the perfect little spot Trianglejohn.....I'm jealous! lol

I might have to make a daytrip to Raliegh one of these days and check out some of those stores!

I am sure there is someplace here in the upstate to find those hard to find items too...I just have to find it!

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

I agree, Joydveenc7 ~ the Piedmont Triad Farmer's Market is wonderful! We are so lucky to have such a huge farmer's market here, and year round. I go at least once a week for tomatoes, peaches, veggies, seedlings, everything! I haven't been to New Garden nursery ~ where is it located? Thank you kindly! :-)

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

John mentioned Baker Creek...the best online seed catalog for fruits/veggies, in my opinion. And their flower seed stock is improving year by year as well. You can also check out Dave's Garden for mail order seed suppliers (which I would do before ordering from any company anyway).

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

I like
    Baker Creek, GREAT amount of seeds.
    Thompson and Morgan of the US
    Pine Tree Seeds really like them
    Value Seeds cheap seeds low shipping not a great selection
    Reimer Seeds lots of seeds in package

Park Seed sucked this year (and I have used them for YEARS), a lot of their packs DIDN'T have the amount of seeds they stated for instance package of 100 only had 10, it happened to me and a lot of others PARKS didn't fix it with some ppl.

These are the ones I used this past year and will again except I will be hesitant to use Park's again BUT hopefully this past year was just a fluke and they have their counts back up. If not they will be off my list completely for seeds.

I usually don't order plants online. I have done ebay of course and I do a co-op group for plants.

:) Fran

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

Star Stuff - NG is on Old Oakridge Rd near Bryan Blvd, and there is another location on Lawndale near Fresh Market. I think this time of year they are closed on Sun. In Sept. they do a good job stocking perennials, shrubs, trees for fall planting as well as fall annuals.

I saw also a story on a family-owned orchard in Reidsville that looks very interesting - haven't ordered yet.

http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

• jitterbug4756
    14 years ago

I live in Greenwood where Park Seed is..their gardens are open to the public to walk through all the time..no tours tho..and their garden center is open mon-fri, maybe sat too not sure, but you can get seeds and plants there or order online or through their cataloge. High quality seeds and plants..you'll love the seldection

• trythrice
    14 years ago

Hope I'm not too late to add another great source I've used for years. My only issue is to remembr how to spell the name..

Terra Ceia in Pantego NC /www.terraceiafarms.com They've been in business several generations, carry peonies, crinums, lilies, you name it in the bulb & tuber line.

• zenda
    14 years ago

Dave's "Garden Watchdog" does a good job of giving some feedback-to avoid the real duds out there.
    I like PInetree seeds, as well as Johnny's-and I fall for seed packs at big boxes--it's like candy....I can't help it.
    Our local hardware store (and Southern States) has seeds you can buy by the ounce out of a jar--like a real farmer. I like this because if I only want three plants, I can get that tiny amount of seed. Limited variety, but still very inexpensive (and sometimes free if the hardware people are busy, they look at my little handful and wave me away...).

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!