Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber Beetle solutions... effective advice is always wonderful

Posted by wayoutman 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 11:19

I am working on my first garden and decided for it to be as eco-friendly to the bug population as I am able to bare it. I have been convinced that there can be a balance of good bug, bad bug population in your garden. Even the black widows that found home actually helped me with my grasshopper and worm problems very nicely. Unfortunately, since family w/children were coming over during the holiday I had to get rid of them. I am expect a flux in the bug eco-system even more because of those actions.

Well, my question was not about Black Widows, but about Cucumber Beetles. I am currently interested in what eats, wards, attacks, or flees these pests form the area. I am noticing a larger population now on a daily basis of these buggers.

Aware what diseases these flying buggers can transmit I have begun to swat them like flies. I really have not read up on any good bugs yet that might take care of this bad bug.

Here are links to some photos..

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/MySpaceShotz/The Garden 2008/July 3-2008/DSCF0007.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/MySpaceShotz/The Garden 2008/July 3-2008/DSCF0002.jpg

Hope everyone had a safe and rewarding Independence day!

Thank you for any information...

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of pests

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber Beetle solutions... effective advice is always wonde

Rather than the spiders, assassin bugs work so much better because they'll even go after hard shelled beetles. Course they can sting you with venom in their proboscis but they're not all that aggressive.

o
RE: Cucumber Beetle solutions... effective advice is always wonde

A method I have only heard about being used, but see no reason why it wouldn't work, is to use a hand-vacuum to suck them up. If you have hens, you could empty the casing into their pen, otherwise, into a bucket of soapy water. Maybe bring them into the house to cool them off - or put the vacuum in the freezer for an hour or two - so they don't promptly try to fly away as you open the vacuum? I am planning to try it on my next infestation of squash bugs.

I have also been told, albeit too late for this year, that PLANTING SEEDS into a mix of soil and cedar shavings works to keep them away. Seemingly, it doesn't work for transplants, they have to sprout in the mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here