Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katthor_gw

Any suggestions on sun loving shrubs or plants?

katthor
13 years ago

I have a problem with my front yard - sun...a lot of sun. When we purchased our house, our front yard was treeless/shrub-less. Since moving in, we have planted 2 trees (1 maple and 1 crabapple) but the trees are still young and not providing much shade. The maple is about 7ft. now and the crabapple is about 5ft.

My biggest problem is that I want to plant some more shrubs and plants around the front of our house but I'm having a problem of finding plants that really love/tolerate a lot of sun. Our front yard gets full sun from about ~8am till sun down. We have planted some boxwoods and hollies which seem to enjoy all the sun exposure but a lilac (miss kim) that I planted early this spring was really struggling in all the sun (burnt leaves/ curling leaves/ etc). I have since transplanted the lilac to a new location (with some shade) and it is rebounding, thankfully. I also have dwarf firepower nandina planted near the front and they too are getting burnt by the summer sun!

I use mulch around all my plants every year and water them regularly. Are there any plants/shrubs that you have tried or know of that truly enjoy full sun?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA