edmundac

Plants that bloom in winter

edmundac
14 years ago

Hello, I am trying to find a plant that will bloom in the winter. Thanks

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Camellia and Daphne are two that come to mind.

• alwaysinthegarden
    14 years ago

Pansies are great for winter color but they are annuals so you have to plant them every year.

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

Prunus mume !!!!!!
    A showy, short-lived Cherry or a stinky soft-wooded pear will never satisfy you again. Not after you walk out into a frosted or snow-covered garden to see branches exploding with whte, pink, or coral single or double blossoms. In January. Mine bloomed for 6 weeks this year. And the sweet smell that will blanket your garden! Grow a Japanese flowering apricot. Everyone grows 'Peggy Clarke'. Branch out and try one of the paler flowers. Or spicier scents, like 'Kobai'. Or a weeping form. I'm not exagerating. Look it up. Resistant to most pests and diseases. If you are in Triangle area, I find mine at Camelia Forest. Nice sized shade tree for a small patio in a few years.

• frank27603
    14 years ago

Hellebores is the first one to jump in my mind.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

What month of winter? There are some things that bloom in early winter, some that bloom in late winter and a few things that bloom all winter long. The great thing about winter bloomers is that they tend to hold on to their flowers for a much longer time.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Winter honeysuckle. Doesn't look like much throughout the year but makes up for it for 3 or 4 months in the cold with the sweet fragrance. Cornus mas, aka cornelian cherry has late winter blooms of frizzly yellow- that look a bit like a witch hazel, and sets fruit either you or the birds can eat. Sometimes lorapetalums bloom very early, too- similar bloom, except pink or white on evergreen bushes. I find my coral honeysuckle will often bloom on and off through the winter when it warms up a bit. Bush cherries have very pretty blooms in late winter too. Oh, and star magnolias bloom in late winter/early spring although they do sometimes get burned if conditions aren't right.

There are some bulbs that bloom very, very early here- species crocus are my first in late Jan or early feb, plus snowdrops, cyclaman coum, and some others, that can light up a winter's day. Trout lilies are a native that blooms in feb- march, along with hepaticas. Lots of cool weather annuals that bloom either through the winter or very very early spring/late winter. Such as, dianthus, pansies, toadflax, snapdragons, poppies, larkspur, nigella, and bachelor's buttons.

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

Edgworthia is a nice winter blooming plant. Corydalis are small, but in masses are showy. There are several types of toothworts (Dentarias) that bloom early, although I think of these, along with the trout lilies and hepaticas, as early spring.

There are quite a few books on winter plants, one by NC authors, as a matter of fact.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Mahonia x media cultivars. Iris unguicularis (winter iris).

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

I have a Camellia Forest prunus mume Kobai - I second that recommendation, and the hellebores. The dwarf contorted witch hazels are on my drool list.