I like the tropical look
they have.
Your pros and cons
Thank you
Blueangel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think Fatsia japonica?

Go for it. It apparently likes more light than I'm giving it because it is growing out to the light rather than up alongside the chimney where it gets late afternoon shade to the roots area.

It puts out a funky bloom also.

o

I got a 1 gallon one last year and repotted it into a 3 gallon pot for the winter. It did well until we had a night of 19F, then it died, or so I thought. I never got around to dumping out my "dead" plant this spring and it has since regrown from the base and is doing pretty well. Mine is in pretty much total shade.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to plant it this fall or let it grow out in the pot for another year (I have so many junk trees in my yard root competition is a major issue).

I've been impressed with mine, especially since it grew back after being killed to the ground.

o

Mine is in the ground in dappled pine shade and just kinda sits there not growing much. I am going to work the dirt around it and see if I can improve the soil.....

Lynne

o

The deer ate mine to the ground. :(

o

Thank you all
I think I will try
them.

Blueangel

o

If it is in a spot they like, it can get pretty big - 10' x 10' or so. You can cut it back to suit your space, or the deer can eat it, or it can freeze to the ground..., despite all that, for all their "tropical look", it is a tough plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here