Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Id help

Posted by cherrykist Z-7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 13:00

I bought this plant at the farmer's market. The lady didn't know what it was and neither do i. I thought it looked interesting so I bought it. I am having a hard time finding any info on it. Don't know where to plant it!

Any one have a clue?

Tammy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Id help

Crocosmia or Montbretia if you talk to anyone in England.

Easy perennials related to Iris. There are many colors available, all do well here and can take over a flowerbed.

Yours looks kinda like 'Lucifer' which is a hybrid but there are many that look alike.

o
RE: Plant Id help

Crocosmia, looks like C. masoniorum, from the flower color, but might be one of the hybrids. They are hardy, from corms. They will spread a bit, if happy, but aren't invasive. They make good cut flowers. The species C. crocosmiflora used to be called montbretia, and can be found under that name in some lists. The species name also was changed some years ago from Tritonia. They will take full sun, but can take some shade, esp. afternoon, as well - might need it in the hottest areas.

Oh yeah, mine tend to grow up to the top of the soil over time, and periodically, I have to rebury a clump of corms as I spread mulch in the spring. They like well drained soil, but live, and flower, OK in my barely amended clay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here