Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late summer, early fall crops

Posted by scurbanfarmer 7b-8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 14:00

Good Afternoon everyone!

I'm working outside today pulling up tomato plants I've had in the ground since April.....and I was wondering if anyone else is now working on their late summer, or early fall planting?

My tomatoes did wonderfully well in the unusually barrage of heat and no rain they experienced early on.
I'm ammending my soil after I get the plants out with topsoil and compost....then I beleive i'm going to plant Dino Kale and Tree collards in their place.
I'm also putting in pumpkins so we will have them ready for Halloween.

I have already pulled out the main bunch of my summer squash, but I still have a few plants to go....then I'm going to try some quick growing tomatoes like Agatha and Silver fir tree in their place.

What are you working on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late summer, early fall crops

Wary of starting on too much with the heat and lack of rain, but I have started some kohlrabi (60 days) and climbing spinach and dill. I just need to refresh some of the dill seed. I also have some small tomato seedlings and peppers I'm going to set out. Need to go through my seeds and see what else I'm going to do. Tomatoes are just starting to yield and my cukes are looking good, but nothing off of them yet. Wanted beans but it's just to dry for them, may try some late okra if I can get it going. Hoping that this next week we'll get some good rain!

o

I can never get winter squash to survive the late summer onslaught of fungus and bugs--so I've already got my pumpkins this year! Any tips for how you manage to get such crops as you name to survive the deep, dry, hot and humid weather?

o

Sorry, I'm probably in a bad mood now-- it's been in the high 90's for so long and we've had so little rain, why oh why would I even think of planting anything now? All I want to do is pull up my poor suffering tomatoes and wait for spring!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here