Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spazzycat_1

Japanese beetles: an observation

spazzycat_1
15 years ago

I've gardened in the same place for 15 years. Every year I have Japanese beetles. Some years their numbers are heavier than others, but typically, they are present in sufficient numbers that I have do something about them.

This year however, the beetles are almost nonexistant. Oh, I have a few, but not nearly enough to even bother treating the roses.Typically, they would be making lace out of the rose foliage and Polygonum persicaria.

Could it be that the drought actually had a benefit? Maybe most of the grubs died because the soil wasn't moist enough? Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Comments (9)

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

I am usually over run with them, but this year I'm not seeing as many and the only thing they're really bothering is the 4 o'clocks, which they've never bothered before. They are really chowing down on them. It's weird! I'm wondering if some neighbors have put out the bags that draw them. Works for me, whew!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

I didn't want to mention this because I was afraid of jinxing it! =) But there's no question that there are fewer JBs this year than last (that's as long as I've been in NC, so I can't compare any farther back). I see them on my roses, vitex, and my evening primroses, but the apple tree which was heavily attacked last year is virtually fine, and my japanese maples have been barely touched. I've only gone out with a soapy cup once, and even then only did in a dozen or so (unlike the 50 per cup last year, every day). I keep waiting for the late surge, but I'm enjoying the respite so far.

• DYH
    15 years ago

I think there were fewer, but my roses are still temporarily (they'll survive) destroyed here outside Chapel Hill. We were at Raulston Arboreteum today and they also had JB damage on roses.

Cameron

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I've hardly seen them this year as well. Thought it was just me.

• jrcan
    15 years ago

You are correct, the drought does have an effect on grubs, as described in the eggs cycle on this website they require water. So not only did the drought help but last years watering ban had a positive effect!

Eggs - Most eggs are a creamy-white in color, about 1/16-inch (1.5mm) long and slightly oval when first laid in the soil. These absorb water from the soil and swell slightly, becoming more round.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Grub life cycle

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

We have noticed less of them this year also which is fine with me. They are hitting one rose bush and one hibiscus but other than that no real damage - YEAH!!!!!!.....

Lynne

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I've seen a grand total of 1 this year!! That makes me happy!! :-)

• MagickMare
    15 years ago

Well I can tell you that all of the missing Japanese Beatles are gorging themselves on my roses! I have yet to see a single bud NOT covered by these pests. I leave the soapy water dish near by to dispose of them easily. Yesterday I had a Vavoom rose bud covered in no less than 25! When will this assault end?

• gbirds
    15 years ago

I've had some in the garden, mostly on the knockout roses and my Japanese maple, but they haven't done enough damage to cause irreparable harm. Plus, the chickens we're babysitting for the neighbors LOVE them! I collect JBs a few times a day and feed them to the chickens. Might have to get a couple chickens my own once the neighbors take theirs back.

I also encourage flocks of grackles and starlings to graze in my yard by putting out a small kiddie pool as a birdbath, which they adore. They seem to get a ton of grubs, which must help at least a little with the JBs.