Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The dry streambed in action

Posted by wonbyherwits z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 08 at 15:31

The rains finally came, and we were so glad that our slopes are planted as gardens instead of washed away in muddy erosion! Also, our driveway was saved by the dry streambed. The moisture loving plants in the rain garden are happy campers, too.

I hope everyone has full rain barrels!

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: managing the rain water

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The dry streambed in action

Makes me want to dip my feet in the water.

o

Cameron, it's so pretty at your house. This pic plus the ones on summer pics 4 makes me wish I could just blink and be there, resting, relaxing and just plain being quiet and listening to all the birds and bugs and watching the plants grow. I'd even pull a weed or two if I saw any, but I haven't spotted one yet in any of your lovely photos.
I finally got rain, too, but my garden is too new to be a lush and inviting place to relax.
Thanks for sharing,
Sandi

o

Absolutely beautiful and I certainly relate to the new garden thing. Although some areas are filling in a lot faster than I anticipated, I can't wait until everything becomes established and lush as in the photo above.

o

Those areas that you see were truly eyesores before we created the gardens. Most all of what you see on today's blog entry was planted in spring 2007.

Here's the same path shown above in the thread, but looking from the garden back to the sidewalk flagstones. You can see where the rain garden diverts and drops the excess water down into the pond of the dry stream.

Saturday morning:

Saturday evening (and then another storm came later):

o

I like how it is set up where when it is dry it still looks like a functional part of the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here