Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hornworms chewing your tomatoes? Try this..

Posted by dottie_in_charlotte z7-8 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 15:43

Datura..
In my back yard, one side of the sidewalk is tomatoes,doing fine. Heirlooms came up by themselves as did the grapes and cherries.
On the other side of the walk the daturas came up by themselves along with sproutings of that So. American tobacco plant I tried last year.
The dats are huge. Too many candles to count and at least 30 blooms after each rainfall. Handsome shrubby sized plants and the leaves are the exact same color as the hawkmoth larvae. It grows and grows and doesn't seem to mind the pruning by the larvae.

Not a one on the tomato plants.

Datura blooms (the ordinary type) pop open(unfurl) in the early evening and stay open til around 10 AM..like moonflowers.
Very fragrant after watering with rain, less fragrant when there is drought.
Related to brugsmansia it has similar growth habit but branches sooner and more frequently and the flowers bloom upwards where brugs bloom headed down.
There are lots of dats varieties in varying colors and doubles but the plain old white is easiest to grow and dropped seeds are persistently viable in the soil for at least three years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hornworms chewing your tomatoes? Try this..

Here's a picture to go with Dottie's story:
datura
When I took this un-retouched photo, my digital had gone from inside my air conditioned house to outside's very humid air. I believe that's why i got such a neat "halo" around the flower.
Here's the fully opened version. The fragrance is exquisite.
Just opened Datura blossom

o
RE: Hornworms chewing your tomatoes? Try this..

What a lovely addition, thank you!
I've let the hornworms eat to their hearts content and the dats merely resprout new leaves.
The largest two hornworms have dropped off to pupate in the soil (somewhere) and emerge in the moth form in a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here