Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyboat

Laying sod yourself?

daisyboat
16 years ago

My husband & I are just about to close on a new house (August) so obviously now is not the best time to have our builder do anything with grass. When the weather cools off, we'd like to have sod installed, but we're toying with potentially installing it ourselves rather than paying someone an arm and a leg to do it. Has anyone attempted to lay sod themselves? If so, would you do it again (& not be like "I SO wish I hired someone!") Any hints/tips if we do attempt to do it ourselves? Thanks a lot for any advice....

Comments (6)

• lsst
    16 years ago

We did about 1/2 an acre. It is not hard at all. It does wear you out though.

We bought it by pallets and staged the rolls all over the yard so that we would not be walking all over the new sod to get more rolls.

My husband would put the roll in place and I would roll it out and butt the ends together. I used an old knife to cut around trees.

Make sure you stagger the seams. I would roll out the full length of one row and then cut a roll in half and lay the half section to start the new row.

• buckeyejoe
    16 years ago

I laid three pallets last year. They wanted almost as much for shipping as the sod on so small a load, so I rented a uhaul trailer and brought they back. 900 sq ft I beleive cost me $600 total + plus about 3 hours labor.

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

And water WELL, daily or even twice, until the grass roots have atarted to grow into your soil. If you can do it just before a good rainy day, all the better.... Your new lawn will be as flat and level as you got the dirt before laying out the sod.

• pathfinder81601
    16 years ago

I sodded my back yard with centipede in July 05 and it's looking great this summer. Grandkids LOVE to romp and wallow in it.

Laying the sod was not the easiest thing I ever did, but it has been one of the most rewarding. If I had it to do over, I would put down some of that soil mix that helps establish roots the first year.

We had watering restrictions in our neighborhood when we laid our sod so we had to get permission from the city to water on the no-watering days.

We had a neighbor who laid yellowing sod on top of his existing lawn. We all laughed and joked about it, but this summer, his lawn looks as good as mine and I spent 2 months taking up the old grass/weed combo!
    I don't recommend using Joe's shorcut, but I was shocked that he had such great success. He may get a fine crop of weeds creeping up through his Bermuda soon, but it looks great for now!.

Every time that I mow my back yard, I take great satisfaction in the fact that I laid down every precious blade of grass all by myself....and I'm in my 60's.... and a girlie girl! If I can do it, anyone can.

Happy gardening, y'all.

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

It's a good idea to loosen the ground up slightly under the new sod so it can root in easier....but DO NOT TILL THE YARD!! I did that....it was a huge mistake. Freshly tilled ground combined with daily watering turn the yard under the sod into a bog. Every step you take you will sink up to your ankles in muck. just lightly loosed up compacted soil, roll the sod out and if you can, rent a roller to compact the sod against the soil. If the ground under the sod is already gooshy, then lay walk boards (2 x 8's work nicely) on the lawn if you need to walk on it for anything.

Sponsored
VA Exteriors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Family Owned & Operated Exterior Construction Experts