Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to pick watermelon

Posted by granjerito 7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 17:31

Hi all. This is the first year that we have gotten watermelon to grow to a healthy size, but now my wife and I are wondering when to start harvesting. When can you tell if the watermelon is ready? We planted at the end of April if that makes a difference too.
Thanks,
Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to pick watermelon

My husband says when the curl (that comes on the vine where the watermelon forms) dies the watermelon is ripe. Good luck, hope this helps. Dale

o

I had the same problem last summer,granjerito. I ended up harvesting some that were pink inside and others that were mush. < s > There is a good program on public TV on Saturdays called Almanac Gardener and it's done by NCSU Extension. Recently, one of their hosts said that watermelons are ready to pick when the bottom part that's been on the ground is yellow. He couldn't vouch for the "thump" method. < s > HTH.

Pam

o

I agree with disgett,(above)go by the little curl

o

What I heard recently on Almanac Gardener...on the old fashioned varieties, it is best to go by the curl. However, that doesn't work so well onn the newer smaller seedless varieties, so for those, go by the yellowing of the part on the ground.

o

Hi, granjerito! I had watermelon grow from seed from the compost pile this year. I use the curl method to determine the best time to pick and have been very successful so far this year. Using the yellow spot on the bottom does not work for me since I gently turn my melons during the growing season to get them evenly ripe all over. Works every time.

I heard that pouring CocaCola in the soil where the seeds sprout will make the melons sweeter. Not sure that really works, but it's worth a try. Also, they say to water like crazy while the melons are small, but withhold water near the end....stressing the vines is supposed to make the fruit sweeter.

I have used melon vines for a ground cover in the past. Those really small varieties make a beautiful ground cover/mulch for the roses. Happy gardening, y'all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here