Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door walkway

Posted by ely1737 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 18:25

Hello everyone, I'm in zone 7b and my house faces the East. I currently have Hostas planted along my front door walkway but my HOA decided to cut my shade tree down. The hostas have managed to survive but are not happy. I'm looking to replace them with something that will give year long appeal, I was thinking maybe lavender or coral bells but not sure the coral bells will tolerate the direct sun for so many hours. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door walkway

Raises a question or two.
Does your front door walkway parallel the house or extend straight out to the roadway? How soon does the planting area benefit from afternoon shade?
"Coral Bells" have nice varieties of leaf tones but the bloom is sparse and rather brief.
You might consider interspersing them with lower to mid height varieties of coleus using the sun varieties furthest from house shade and the shade varieties closer to your
front entrance. They both benefit from east location and a
well watered and well drained site. Simple pinching to keep the coleus near the coral bells height will keep the coleus
more dense and the colors intense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here