Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quirkpod

excess zucchini problem. pls send me your recipes!

Lavoie Boho
15 years ago

Please post your recipes for zucchini here, as I am running out of ideas. Let's all share how we are cooking them. I mostly stir-fry in olive oil, onions, garlic and sometimes add squash. I also have recipes for splitting them the long way, scooping out and stuffing with various things then baking, but its still too hot to do that in my kitchen. Recipes please? Looking for Mexican style.

Comments (14)

• iechris
    15 years ago

I don't have Mexican, but how about chocolate??

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

3 large eggs
    2 Cups sugar
    1 Cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
    2 TB. butter
    6 TB. COCOA POWDER
    2 Cups zucchini, grated
    2 Cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    11/2 tsp. CINNAMON
    2/3 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
    2 tsp. flour
    1 Cup chopped nuts (optional)
    Preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and VANILLA EXTRACT. Mix until well blended. In a small saucepan, melt 2 TB. butter, add 6 TB. COCOA POWDER and blend together until smooth. Set aside to cool. Peel and grate the zucchini. Add zucchini and cooled COCOA mixture to the large mixing bowl and blend well. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and CINNAMON. Add dry ingredients to the batter. Stir only enough to blend in all the dry ingredients. In another small bowl, coat the chocolate chips with 2 tsp. flour. This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan. Add the flour-coated chocolate chips to the batter. Spoon the batter into two generously greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pans. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on a wire rack.

Prep. time: 15 minutes
    Baking time: 60-70 minutes
    Yield: 2 loaves

• DYH
    15 years ago

I usually roast mine in the oven with some EVOO, garlic cloves and herbs. Sometimes I use Herbes de Provence. Other times, I just use sea salt and ground pepper.

You could also use it in ratatouille.

Here's a link to the recipe blog that I support for the Cottage Garden Forum with a recipe for you.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: cottage garden recipes

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

Rather than cook and freeze mine I simply slice them thin and dehydrate them in my dehydrator. I then store the bone dry zuke chips in a glass jar and save them for later. They don't add much flavor to soups of stews but they do add bulk and they pretty much take on the tastes of anything you cook them with so they act as an extender.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

We mostly deep fry them babies. When we get tired of that or start feeling guilty for eating poorly we bake them topped with a little butter (hey, it isn't grease right?) and Parmesan Cheese. It sounds nasty I know but after the cheese is baked it loses that smell and takes on an entirely different taste. Just slice them lengthwise, put it in a casserole dish, brush with melted butter and sprinkle the cheese on thick. Cook until the cheese melts then throw the broiler on for a few seconds until the cheese starts to brown in spots.

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

I can post a wonderful cake recipe later when I have more time but for now, one way I've had zucchini that was easy and delicious was to cut lengthwise into thick planks, marinade the planks in Italian dressing (you could use a different flavor), then cook outside on the grill. Enjoy!

• catc
    15 years ago

They're good in frittatas and omelets. There are lots of frittata recipies, but I usually just saute them with some olive oil and onion, pour the eggs and cheese over them and cook on top of the stove until nearly done, then finish it in the oven so it puffs up. You can add other veggies (cut up cherry tomatoes or tomato slices, other kinds of squash, etc). I also like to grill them with other veggies - onion, pepper, hunks of tomato. It helps if you have one of those things you put on top of the grill that has smaller openings. Link below is to one of the many frittata recipies on epicurious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zuccini Frittata with Blossoms

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

If you pull the blossoms and stuff them with ground sausage and cheese,batter and fry them you'll get less zucchini's and maintain a nice looking plant.

• coorscat
    15 years ago

Dottie has the right idea...eat the flowers and put an end to the excess!
    We stuff them with cheese and chilis, coat them with egg wash, roll in corn meal and then fry them. I have had them batter fried with nothing in them and that was kinda tasteless.

• squirrelspur
    15 years ago

Hi Robin, I also use in stir-fry and also don't use the oven on these hot days. Have you checked on the Cooking Forum over on the Home Forums, maybe you will find some good ideas.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do I stuff the blossoms with exactly? I have no idea. And how much of the blossom stem do I leave on? I am a complete novice at this. What oil do you use, how much, and what type of pan? Hoping someone can really spell it out so maybe I and other newbies can enjoy this delicacy. What is an "egg wash"? I am completely lost. Stuffed blossoms sounds really good. I want to serve them at my gardeners luncheon this month. I recently began having these with some local gardeners. There are about 10 of us. Each one takes her turn having it at her house, and each chooses a theme. The last one was any dish containing herbs. Mine will be Mexican. Maybe I can come up with a Mexican version of stuffed blossoms. Let's discuss.

• nancyofnc
    15 years ago

You can use zucchini instead of cucumbers to make sliced homemade canned pickles. Bread and Butter's especially.

As for Mexican Zucchini recipes, do a Google search using those words. Mine came up with Oven Fries and Soup, which both sounded good. I think steamed zucchini with heated salsa would make a simple and tasty Mexican style side dish.

Nancy the nancedar

• nonews
    15 years ago

The first time I made cooked zucchini, I said - oh, there is no taste and my DH said, I like this, there is no taste!! Each to their own. Nancy

• catc
    15 years ago

Here's a recipe from epicurious for stuffed zucchini blossoms - maybe you can modify it using different cheese and maybe some chorizo or something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini blossoms stuffed with tomatoes and parmesan

• GrdnGreen
    10 years ago

A fast and fresh meal is to saute zucchini, yellow (crookneck) squash, green pepper, tomatoes, onion and garlic. I use a large frying pan and initially put the stove on high for a minute or two. I turn it down letting them simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes so the flavor really get a chance to mingle. Season to taste. Serve it hot and sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese. It's quick, its fresh and delicious. If you want a little more protein then brown some chicken breast with the onion and garlic first and then add the other ingredients.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022