Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pesto Recipes?

Posted by amateur_anna (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 20:55

Hope everyone is enjoying the rain! I know that my garden is. Basil has been growing wildly, and today I made a quick pesto sauce off of www.reluctantgourmet.com, which involved mixing the following

3 cloves garlic

2 cups fresh basil leaves

3 tablespoons pine nuts (pignolia)

1 dash salt and pepper

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated

Anyone have any other good variations for pesto? I think I have enough basil to make quite a few batches :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pesto Recipes?

Hi Anna,

My cousin also has basil by the bushel, and her pesto recipe is very similar.

As a variation, she also blends her pesto with low calorie or fat free mayonnaise, which makes a delicious spread for sandwiches.

o

• Posted by mrsig SC Zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 8:34

That's a great looking recipe and I look forward to trying it out. I love Pesto.

FWIW - Walnuts are a decent substitute for pine nuts as they are more readily available.

o

Yum! I love basil and pesto season! Sometimes I will use sunflowers seeds if I don't have pine nuts.

o

• Posted by mrsig SC Zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 9:57

Good idea on the sunflower seeds...

o

I love pesto, but I make mine with a twist. I use 1/2 basil and 1/2 mint and add a squeeze of lemon at the end. It is great with either shrimp or chicken in addition to pasta and the mint and lemon make a clean taste you would walk all the way home for.

o

Here's a great salad recipe:
1# cooked cheese tortellini or any other pasta
1-15 oz. can artichoke heart quarters
1 C sundried tomatoes
1 C pitted kalamata olives
1/2-3/4C basil pesto
Toss. Add grated parmesan cheese to garnish

o

I pretty much always use sunflower seeds unless I see pinenuts on sale.

I make like a three year supply of pesto at a time (once or twice each summer) and freeze it in gallon freezer bags. I smush it flat and about a half an inch thick and lay it on a sheet of cardboard or a small cookie sheet in the freezer til it freezes solid. Once all the produce is processed and froozen you can stand them upright like books on a shelf. To use it just break a corner off inside the bag and work it out the opening. Works much better than freezing in ice cube trays.

o

I use almonds as a substitute for pine nuts. I also put in a small yellow tomato which seems to help it from turning green to brown so fast and adds a little color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here