Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe source for compost in Chapel Hill area?

Posted by DanR_NC none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 20:58

Hi Folks,
I just moved to Hillsborough NC and am trying to revive the garden that is on the property we bought. From the height of the weeds I would say nobody has stepped through the gate in years. The soil does not look bad, about 3 inches of soil and then the clay starts.

I took soil samples to the County Extension office, so I will know how much lime to add. I want to find a safe source for compost also. I have seen warnings about buying manure based compost because of herbicides sprayed on the fields the cows graze on. Does anyone in the area have a safe supplier of compost (with or without manure). I do have a pickup, but I would rather get about 8 yards delivered.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe source for compost in Chapel Hill area?

Give JT Brockwell in Calvander a call. Located between Carrboro and Hillsborough. They clean their soil and my garden is based on many dump truck loads from them. I'm pretty sure they have the clean compost you want, but ask them. 942 3001 Also, if you want bags of organic cow compost, go to Lowe's and look for the Timberline brand. It's under $3.00 a bag and I use it all the time now that my garden is planted up.

Cameron

o

Thanks Cameron! That is very close to me. I appreciate it!

o

I like Triangle Landscape Supply but I don't know if they have an office that far west. They compost turkey waste and sweet potato waste to make their compost.

o

Hope they have what you want..... but, be warned...they have gorgeous STONE and I've bought my share of that, too! :-)

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here