Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelon bottoms turning black

Posted by thafool Central NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 21:04

Having a problem with growing watermelons - this is my first time trying them and I can't find anything on the internet that has really explained what is happening. My baby watermelons, within a day or two of forming, are turning black and leathery on the bottom. The plant/vines/leaves appear fine, and I haven't noticed any particular insects hanging about, so I'm suspecting fungal, but I'm not sure. I thought blossom end rot at first, but it's happening where they touch the ground, not on the blossom end like they do on squash etc. Any ideas (and possible solutions :) are appreciated - I'm going to start an anti-fungal for now and see what happens... which reminds me - never used anti-fungals either - any recommendations???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelon bottoms turning black

• Posted by stemy z7 Fort Mill, SC (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 20:39

A picture might be good if you're still having the issue. Have you tried setting the melons on something (besides the ground) as soon as they start forming?

o
RE: Watermelon bottoms turning black -- black rot?

• Posted by stemy z7 Fort Mill, SC (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 30, 09 at 20:52

Black rot?

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/veg/htms/blkrtcuc.htm

Watermelon.
Spots start as small, round, dark greenish-tan to black water-soaked areas.
They enlarge slowly, becoming brown to black in the center.
They remain smooth for a long time, but become depressed as they enlarge.
The spots are usually surrounded by a narrow water-soaked area with an irregular border.
Under moist conditions, tiny pale and dark dots develop in the center of the spots, although these can be difficult to see.
The spots may become leathery, the centers become darker, and cracks may radiate from the center of the spots.
When humidity is high, a white cottony fungal growth may grow over the spots. Gummy ooze is usually absent.
If the fruit is sliced open, cutting the spot in half, the rind is dark brown to black directly below the spot, and progressively lighter toward the edges.

Here's a pic I found on a pumpkin:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here