Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wonderful afternoon in the garden!

Posted by nannerbelle 7b/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 21:11

Well, the last two afternoons have been beautiful here. Light ocean feeling breeze, temps in the upper 80's and low humidity. I wanted to do some gardening yesterday but had to take one of my pups in for her annual checkup. So I did manage a little weeding but not much more than that. This afternoon, I got to finish up with work around 5:30 (Yeah, normal time for once!!) and got outside by 5:45 this afternoon. I got the rest of my kitchen window bed tilled up. That was huge especially getting the tiller to crank LOL. I also got the tilling done for some plantings I want to do out at the edge of the lawn in my "Palm and Cactus" garden. I got 4 Pink Pampas grass in at the edge of this garden and my 2 Black Magic EE's at the kitchen window. I transplanted a Musa Basjoo that over wintered and really didn't like it's location. I wouldn't have moved it now but it was really really struggling. So I thought I may as well give it a good chance in a closer bed with some better conditions. I then watered the veggies, the gardinias and hibiscus, and purple fountain grass I put in about a month ago, watered the new plantings and had a face to face with a beautiful male Ruby Throated Hummingbird that was checking out my work. He then flew off to play with 3 or 4 of his friends, darting over the decks and playing around the feeders. What a wonderful afternoon!! I hope to have the weed barrier complete and mulch in the new beds by the end of the holiday weekend!! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wonderful afternoon in the garden!

Thanks for that wonderful description of a great day in the garden. Sometimes I have wondered over the years about living in a different place with lower humidity. Guess we'll just have to settle for the occasional day here and there. Have you thought about being a garden writer Nannerbelle? Linda :O)

o

Yes, wonderful description!

It's all worth the gardening effort, isn't it?

Cameron

o

Thank you!! Yes, it is definatly worth the effort!! I'm having a lot of fun with gardening this year. I can see some things starting to come together and it's so rewarding! And my little Basjoo is doing wonderfully!! I actually planted the plant, which turned out to be a pup when I dug it up. I then took the old corm and put it in a planter full of good rich potting soil. I now have a new plant about 2 inches tall!! I had a great holiday weekend, I got one of 4 beds under construction completed. Now to add the plants!! (the real fun part!!) And I had a good shopping trip to Home Depot. I picked up a beautiful pink Brug, some nice Calidiums (sp) to go with the EE's, a flat of Portulaca, a couple of New Zealand Cabbage Palms, and some really pretty double impatins and some ornamental pepper. I got part of them in today, and the rain caught up with me. So to finish up tomorrow!! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here