Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frangione1_gw

gardenias and sun exposure

frangione1
14 years ago

I planted 4 chuck hayes gardenias in the fall in an area that gets afternoon sun from about 1 pm on. Three of the four have pretty much died. The only one that has survived gets a little more shade because of some taller shrubs nearby. I thought they could take the sun. I have a neighbor that gets the same exposure and has beautiful gardenias, although they are a different variety, August Beauty. I have attributed my problem to the sun since they are in the same bed, with the same soil and the same amendments added when planted.

What are other people's experiences with gardenias in a western exposure? Should I try another variety or just give up and be happy with the one that is still alive?

Comments (14)

• mrsboomernc
    14 years ago

After years of resisting, I just planted a "garden diva" - and her name is "August Beauty" ... she's sited & planted as described above, and it's supposed to be hardy here. So, I must ask what's the problem with "August Beauty"?

• frangione1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't noted any problems with bugs or disease. The soil is acidic. I think I will just baby the one I have and plant something else where the other ones were.

My neighbor's August Beauty is well established and has come through many winters without problems.

• benflower
    14 years ago

I planted "trailing gardenias" -- last spring (5 of them)-- don't know the variety. Lost them all. They got afternoon sun-- but I watered, coaxed, prayed-- still lost them. Will NOT plant them again. Also, I had eight that did great in the front yard -- they were 7 years old. (morning sun), I lost all but three of them this spring. thought it was whiteflies, but I never really saw anything. Sprayed with no avail. They just gradually turned brown and died.
    Good luck-- they're too finicky for me.

• bubba62
    14 years ago

It's totally counterintuitive, but my best gardenia blooms and grows beautifully in what has evolved into nearly total shade, even in winter (it's under a gargantuan Photinia which really needs to be removed). Can't explain it, but those are the facts, ma'am.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

'August Beauty' is only rated to zone 8, although that doesn't mean we can't find microclimates for it to thrive here in zone 7. I'm trying it myself against an eastern wall near my dryer vent, and hopeful it will pull through the winter and many more to come.

The Dave's Garden link below on 'August Beauty' has it down as hardy to zone 8a, although I notice someone has claimed to grow it well in Chapel Hill (perhaps one of us?) =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's Garden PlantFile

• mrsboomernc
    14 years ago

Heartening to see it grows in CH - it definitely wasn't me doing the zip code report. I did plant it in a warm spot ... we shall see :)

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

I have a 2 year old Frostproof that gets bright eastern exposure half a day. It looked great its first year and terrible this Spring with tons of yellow leaves, twisted light-colored leaf tips and new leaves, branch dieback. It was zinc deficiency, and Ironite was the only product I could find available locally. That treatment made a difference in a week, and after about 3 more treatments spaced over several weeks the shrub recovered. I've never had trouble with mineral deficiency in the soil here before, so it seems gardenias are pretty sensitive.

• frangione1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine were doing the same thing, turning yellow and then the branches dying back. I tried ironite, but it didn't help. I have only been able to conclude that maybe the sun exposure is the issue since the one planted in the same bed, with the same soil and the same ammendments is doing fine. It gets more shade because of some large camellias planted nearby. Oh, well, like I said, I think I will just enjoy the one I have and take the opportunity to try something else where the dead ones are.

• DYH
    14 years ago

I have a 3 year old 'August Beauty' in my fragrance garden here in Chapel Hill. Not my report though. I LOST 3 the first year from not having sufficient shade for them during the winter.

The morning sun on the east side of the house hits the plants in winter and the frost burn got them -- my theory and I'm sticking to it. This one still looks healthy. (knock on wood)

Of course, since I wrote a blog story about my glorious winter daphne back in the winter, it died last week.

I've given up on the small, trailing gardenias. I'm beginning to think that they want COMPLETE shade and there's none here around my gardens at this point in time (working on it).

Cameron

• tamelask
    14 years ago

My trailing gardenia has been happy for about 14 years in a spot that only gets direct sun from about 2-5 or 6 in the afternoon. Goes against all the rules, but it's worked well.

I wouldn't give up gardenias if someone tried them in the past couple of droughty years. Try again this year with the plentiful rain. I lost a couple last year that i just planted then, too. It's very hard to establish even not so persnickety things going during a drought, let alone the divas.

Cameron, just when i thought my winter daphne was in the clear from the dreaded fungal disease (it was about 8 yrs old) it succumbed- and super quickly. This was a couple yrs ago now. I've decided i'll just overlap them in my garden, planting a new one every 3 or 4 years in a new spot to take over when the old one checks out.

• hemlady
    14 years ago

I also have August Beauty in Chapel Hill. Three to be exact. They do fine, in three different locations. One has an eastern exposure and does the best. One is in almost full shade and does OK and one has a southern exposure and does fine also. Denise

• mrsboomernc
    14 years ago

The tag on my August Beauty says it's hardy to 30 degrees F. I bought it anyway. Mine's in an eastern exposure, close to the porch ... this location seems to be warmer than other spots. I am VERY encouraged by the August Beauty info posted here :) Thanks, all!

• Catherine Donleycott
    8 years ago

In Raleigh, North Carolina eight (8) large August Beauty Gardenias on a hill on the East Side of the house where they got morning sun and filtered sun the rest of the day. They do GREAT!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm