Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

Can I Grow Lavender Here?

drippy
14 years ago

I have not seen any lavender around here (Upstate SC) that I can remember - I am missing the bushes I had at home. Does it grow in the South? I've read that lavendula stoechas (which isn't hardy in the north) will, but will lavendula angustifolia?

Any success stories with suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Kim

Comments (11)

• aezarien
    14 years ago

I have had lady lavender (angustifolia)and providence lavender (x intermedia)growing in my yard in native soil for three years.

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, aezarien - I would have been sad if I couldn't grow lavender.

• token28001
    14 years ago

I have provence as well. Just wintersowed Hidcote Blue too. It's doing great.

You need to give it very good drainage for the winter months. That's about the only issue I've found with it. wonbyherwits grows Spanish lavender. I've had no luck with that, but the Provence has been blooming like crazy for over a month already.

• carolinagardendawg
    14 years ago

I've got some in a large container...been growing there happily for 4 years now. Not sure which variety it is. I tried some in the ground and it didn't make it thru the first summer.

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! Pat, the little pot I brought with me is very iffy, but it's probably too hot and I have been watering it quite a bit - plus, it's all MiracleGro potting soil, so what you are saying would explain its demise. I will repot it and relocate it and try to rescue it!

• aezarien
    14 years ago

Mine are growing in the worst place ever for any plant, I think. I dumped them right in the clay under a huge oak tree where they only get afternoon sun.

• pfmastin
    14 years ago

Sadly, I haven't had success with Provence...I've killed at least 2 of them. I will try one more time before I give up.

However, Spanish lavender (Lavendula stoeches) is a success for me so more of that has been planted.

It's in the foreground of this photo.
    {{gwi:582260}}

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very nice, pfmastin! I guess I will have to try some stoechas in the future!

• deebie
    14 years ago

Beautiful plants pfmastin! I bought several different lavender plants for the 1st time this year. One is a pink spanish lavender. I am going outside right now to get them out of the ground and into pots. I lost 2 plants already (augustofolia, I think). I had them in a concrete planter that I seldom watered. I was so afraid of overwatering. Now I know its the steamy heat that I need to worry about. I'll put the rest in plastic pots (in well draining soil) in a more shady part of my border. Thanks all for the info.

• patlovesdirt
    14 years ago

I've got mine planted in MiracleGro dirt, too, but I mixed in a little sand and added some rocks to the mix. I'm pretty sure that too much water - or sustained moisture - is what does them in. Ideally, moderately warm temps and dryish conditions are what they favor. In our area, the scorching heat seems to be too much. Another trick I've used is to place large rocks on top of the pots around the lavender - seems to help keep the temperature down in the pot - but if you do this, DON'T OVER-WATER! Good luck. I think they're worth all the effort. There's nothing that smells better.