Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Grow Lavender Here?

Posted by drippy 7bSC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 21:13

I have not seen any lavender around here (Upstate SC) that I can remember - I am missing the bushes I had at home. Does it grow in the South? I've read that lavendula stoechas (which isn't hardy in the north) will, but will lavendula angustifolia?

Any success stories with suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Grow Lavender Here?

I have had lady lavender (angustifolia)and providence lavender (x intermedia)growing in my yard in native soil for three years.

o

Thanks, aezarien - I would have been sad if I couldn't grow lavender.

o

I have provence as well. Just wintersowed Hidcote Blue too. It's doing great.

You need to give it very good drainage for the winter months. That's about the only issue I've found with it. wonbyherwits grows Spanish lavender. I've had no luck with that, but the Provence has been blooming like crazy for over a month already.

o

I've grown provence and aug successfully...but in pots. Before trying pots, I'd plant lavender among my other perennials and ended up losing them every single year during the hottest summer months. They cooked/steamed and turned black from the combination of our really hot and steamy summers in the natural garden environment. Now I have three varieties each flourishing in its own pot, in which I mixed potting soil with equal parts of sand and biggish rocks (gives the roots something to hang on to) and I keep them in a morning-sun-afternoon-shade area. When the sun exposure changes during the summer, I can move them around to avoid that late afternoon broiling sun. The combination of too hot temperatures and moist soil is what kills them. Also, in pots, they can be placed directly in beds among other perennials and/or annuals. They need lots of sun and dryish soil, but they do need water. I've kept these 3 going and blooming regularly for a few years now and they're doing great. During the winter months, I leave them outside in their pots and then give them a haircut in the spring when new growth starts. Hope this gives you some ideas. But to repeat, it is the combination of high heat and moist soil that does them in

o

I've got some in a large container...been growing there happily for 4 years now. Not sure which variety it is. I tried some in the ground and it didn't make it thru the first summer.

o

Thanks so much for the info! Pat, the little pot I brought with me is very iffy, but it's probably too hot and I have been watering it quite a bit - plus, it's all MiracleGro potting soil, so what you are saying would explain its demise. I will repot it and relocate it and try to rescue it!

o

Mine are growing in the worst place ever for any plant, I think. I dumped them right in the clay under a huge oak tree where they only get afternoon sun.

o

Sadly, I haven't had success with Provence...I've killed at least 2 of them. I will try one more time before I give up.

However, Spanish lavender (Lavendula stoeches) is a success for me so more of that has been planted.

It's in the foreground of this photo.
Photobucket

o

Very nice, pfmastin! I guess I will have to try some stoechas in the future!

o

Beautiful plants pfmastin! I bought several different lavender plants for the 1st time this year. One is a pink spanish lavender. I am going outside right now to get them out of the ground and into pots. I lost 2 plants already (augustofolia, I think). I had them in a concrete planter that I seldom watered. I was so afraid of overwatering. Now I know its the steamy heat that I need to worry about. I'll put the rest in plastic pots (in well draining soil) in a more shady part of my border. Thanks all for the info.

o

I've got mine planted in MiracleGro dirt, too, but I mixed in a little sand and added some rocks to the mix. I'm pretty sure that too much water - or sustained moisture - is what does them in. Ideally, moderately warm temps and dryish conditions are what they favor. In our area, the scorching heat seems to be too much. Another trick I've used is to place large rocks on top of the pots around the lavender - seems to help keep the temperature down in the pot - but if you do this, DON'T OVER-WATER! Good luck. I think they're worth all the effort. There's nothing that smells better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here