Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coorscat

Pics of Mountain Yard Per Basil's Request

coorscat
15 years ago

Basil requested I post some pics from my NC mountain and FL yards. Here are summer pics from NC, I think I have figured out how to get these pics posted

{{gwi:582380}}

This is creek in front of property

{{gwi:582382}}

these are beds of hydrangeas, daylillies, and hostas between our road and the creek

{{gwi:582384}}

I was cheating and giving the daylillies a drink! Hostas in background

{{gwi:582386}}

bed at base of slope behind house, base is daylillies, slope is queen anne's lace and fern

{{gwi:582388}}

First bee balm of the season, bed between springhead and creek

{{gwi:582390}}

side view of beds and slope behind house

{{gwi:582393}}

rhodendron, I can't take credit for this, it is growing wild but is pretty just the same

{{gwi:582396}}

little hydrangea in bed by kitchen door

{{gwi:582399}}

close up of daylillies by cattle guard

{{gwi:582402}}

don't you love how these little roses are poking through the glads?

{{gwi:582404}}

hydrangeas by deck

I could bore everyone to tears with my hydrangea pics. This is the first time in years I have been able to grow them and I am going overboard!

Comments (25)

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

Thank you.
    Glad I asked.
    Your NC home look like a fun place to live.
    Also some nice plants and a lot that you didn't have to plant.
    In the picture "side view of beds and slope behind house " I see a plant tall with white flowers that look somewhat like a
    hydrangea. I have some of them growing wild at my place. What are they?
    I like that creek also.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Very pretty! I am a former FL gardener and looking forward to your FL yard pics.

• rosebush
    15 years ago

Coorscat,
    What a lovely garden! Keep the photos coming. . .Your place is just beautiful!!!
    From another "transplanted" FL gardener,
    Rosemary

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Lovely! thanks for posting. I love your waterfall- it's breathtaking. So nice to have such wonderful natural surroundings to build your gardens around.

Basil, i'd lay money that's some kind of native viburnum you saw blooming in your yard and hers.

• DYH
    15 years ago

You have a tranquil, beautiful setting! That creek is so wonderful. I love hydgrangeas and daylilies but must admire photos from others' gardens since the deer visit mine.

Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Cameron

• coorscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Basil: I have lots of Queen Anne's lace on that slope, but it doesn't look like hydrangea to me, so not sure what you are looking at (I admit it is a cruddy pic).
    Cameron, would you believe that I don't have a problem with deer? There are plenty of them. I find their poo all over the place and sometimes see them in the evening. However, they have only eaten a few lamb's ears and have pretty much left everything else alone. I think that because we are so secluded, they have plenty to eat in their own territory without getting close to mine. I get some FL garden pics this week-end.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Very pretty place!! It looks very cool, peaceful and inviting. The waterfall is very nice, bet you enjoy listening to it while out in the yard. Thanks for posting such nice pictures!!

• lovemyshovel
    15 years ago

I also am wondering what that plant is in the "side view of beds" pic, the large plant that looks like a white hydrangea. It grows wild on shady banks at the old homeplace. It looks like either elderberry or hydrangea. What is that?

• lylesgardens
    15 years ago

the natural creek is perfect.....what a great spot to sit and relax, and plant things by. Nice!

Lyle

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

coorscat take another look at your pictures. You have 2 picture of the same shrub. What I was looking at could not have been a Queen Anne's lace because it was a shrub. But the flower did look somewhat like queen Anne's lace.

tamelask here a picture of mine after the flower gone.
    Is it some kind of native viburnum.
    coorscat does your plant look like mine now?

PS: see my big toe.

{{gwi:582405}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Basil, with those berries it looks like it to me, but i'm not adept enough to tell you which one it is. There is a wild hydrangea, too- we saw it all over up in the mountains. But hydrangeas don't set berries, and of course the leaves are different.

• coorscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice toe shot! Nope, this stuff has never made berries. It is not a shrub. It is certainly not a hydrangea looking kinda thing because that grows like a shrub. This grows very tall and lanky.It grows thickly in with the dewberries (well that's what we call em where I grew up, I think some people call them wild blackberries). It looks to me like the Queen Anne's Lace which is growing in another area. I hunted the web to see a pic that looks like it and this is what I came up with. I sent seeds to my Mom in Texas but hers hasn't done anything yet. Guess it doesn't much care for the sandy Texas coast.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.desotostatepark.com/photogallery/wildflowers/queen%2520annes%2520lace.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.desotostatepark.com/photogallery/photogallerywildflowers.htm&h=617&w=691&sz=216&tbnid=-bM7lg2aLEYJ::&tbnh=124&tbnw=139&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dqueen%2Banne%2527s%2Blace&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

Here is a link that might be useful: picture I found on net

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

What basil has appears to be Elderberry, Sambucus is the scientific name.

What coorscat may have is Hydrangea arborescens.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

esh- That occurred to me, too, but the leaves don't look right for elderberry to me.

coorscat, that appears to be queen anne's lace in your link. Also known as wild carrot. They are biennual, and i'd think would be ok in tx, but not sure. They do sand just fine, but i'm not sure about salt tolerance. The seed can take a while to germinate.

• coorscat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tame: The salt is probably the reason she hasn't been able to get it to do anything. She is very close to the Oso bay and based on the flooding they are having from Dolly, I think she is getting closer and closer to the bay (or it is getting closer to her)
    BTW I googled Hydrangea arborescens to take a look at pics and that isn't even close to what these look like. I looked at elderberry pics, and while the flower is a little similar, the leaves are not.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I've heard about salt creep before in Australia and am not surprised it's happening in the US as well. Coorscat, i was suspecting that you had a viburnum in your shots, and i'm guessing that's what basil's is as well. Most viburnums set berries, though not all do. There are many, and several have a similar bloom to wild carrot. When was that blooming?

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

Coorscat, do you have neighbors up there in the mountains?
    If so, ask them what they call the plants. I have never saw any queen anne's lace taller than my knees.

• dellare
    15 years ago

I have queen anne's lace that is about five feet tall but I agree that its not queen anne's lace, the foliage is all wrong. I agree with Tammy that it looks alot like a viburnum and she is right in that not all have berries. Adele

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Basil, did you think yours looks like Elderberry? The picture of the leaves in yours is hard to distinguish because they are not spread out, but you can compare pictures of elderberry foliage to your plant's foliage. It looks like yours has a compound leaf like an elderberry, not a simple leaf like a viburnum.

Likewise, being able to see the foliage on coorscat's would help as well as information on the bloom time.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I still don't think it's elder. It was bugging me so i looked it up. Look at the link below and notice how much longer the elder leaves are in proportion, and more important, notice that they are attached right to the central stem they grow off of to form the compound leaf. Basil's plant has smaller stems coming off the central stem which then form a leaf. Small but important distinction. The elder leaves are serrated as well, but it's pretty hard to tell if basil's are or not. What color are the berries? I agree that it's very hard to tell for sure without a better pic.
    I don't know if any of the viburnums have compound leaves or not, but that's an excellent point. Do you know adele? There's such a lot of them.
    Fyi, my queen anne's lace get to 4 or sometimes close to 5'. Not that that's what anyone was showing except that one link where they were describing the flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: elder leaves from google images

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

None of the native viburnums have compound leaves.

• dellare
    15 years ago

Yeh Tammy esh is right about that. Viburnums are by far my favorite shrub and I have never seen any with compound leaves. I was referring to coorscat's as looking more like a viburnum than anything else. Last year someone brought in a sprig from a flowering shrub and we went crazy trying to identify it. We finally did through the internet. It had lupine-like leaves and a pea-like seed pod with a flowerhead that would knock your socks off. I started the seed and would you believe its blooming in my garden its very first year. Adele

• basil_davis2
    15 years ago

Picture of leaves
    {{gwi:582407}}

{{gwi:582409}}

{{gwi:582412}}

This is picture of my Queen Ann's Lace.
    {{gwi:582415}}

{{gwi:582417}}

See mine don't come up to my knees some times.
    I have never saw one as tall as me.
    I live in south Florida for about 2 years and not sure I saw any queen Ann's laces while there.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Yep, basil's plant looks like Elderberry.

• tamelask
    15 years ago

i second that it's elderberry. Make some pie or wine, Basil!

good to know there are no compound leaved viburnums.

I don't have any pix of my tall QAL, and it's done for the year now. It comes to chest high sometimes. I think it's because it's partial shade. They are so pretty that i don't mind that they reseed all over the place.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional