Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basil_davis2

Update on Plants from Traid swap

basil_davis2
17 years ago

See what I got from the traid. Plant swap.

See how it is flowering.

You know what it is?

It is a plumeria from Hawaii.

And they have a wonderfull sweet frangrance

{{gwi:582442}}

{{gwi:582443}}

Comments (9)

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

I'm really happy to see it blooming from what looks like a first year cutting. I rooted my first plumeria this spring.

• shari1332
    17 years ago

Is this one of those tropicals that will overwinter in a dark cool place or does it have to come inside? I love the fragrance but didn't know how beautiful the flowers are.

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

karen__w,
    Where did you get your cutting?
    How long have you had the cutting in dirt?
    How is it doing so far?

shari1332,
    I not sure but almost sure that it needs a place in house in the winter. Yes the fragrance is great but I have to put my nose very close to get the the fragrance. I had never heard of these till I got this one at the sawp.

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Basil,
    I used to have one when I lived in FL. It started as a cutting about the same size as yours, and was a 5 foot tree when I left. The smell of the flower is incredible! I would think it needs a warm place for the winter.

• karen__w z7 NC
    17 years ago

Basil, I bought the cuttings at the spring plant sale at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota, FL. That would have been in mid-March. I was looking for things that were packable and five sticks held together by a rubber band fit the ticket. Unfortunately I didn't get to them right away after I got home and some rot set in while they were still in bubble wrap, but I tossed two of them and trimmed back the rest. After the ends dried and calloused I stuck them in a mix of mainly perlite with a little bit of potting soil and kept them very dry until outdoor temps warmed up. Them I set them out in full sun with whatever rain fell. Two have leafed out and rooted well and are now getting watered regularly. They look pretty much like yours except no flowers. The third hasn't done anything yet, but the cutting is still firm so I'm waiting patiently. I think I stuck the cuttings sometime in early April.

BTW, Marie Selby has great plant sales if you're ever down that way. I also bought Griffinia, which is blooming now, and species caladiums. I generally take an extra suitcase when I travel for these little side trips.

• trianglejohn
    17 years ago

I used to overwinter my plumerias inside during the winter. I would find the coolest room with a sunny window and park them by it. I would let them dry completely til the leaves fell off. After that they would be in a dormant state waiting for spring. You can even move them into a darker colder room as long as it stays above freezing.

Now I build a simple hoop house out in the garden and keep it above freezing with a regular space heater. All the tropicals love it.

• basil_davis2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rosebush,

Do you have picture of the 5 foot tree that you can scan and post?

• rosebush
    17 years ago

Basil,
    That was alost four years ago - not sure if I can find a photo but if I do I will post it for you. rosebush

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

I wonder how one of these would do as a house plant in my Mom's Florida room? The room has medium indirect light.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals