Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you have planted first?

Posted by christy2828 10b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 22:19

Hi all!!! I'm a Coast Guard Mom, moving to Hertford, NC. I will be stationed there for 3 - 4 years. We are renting up there, but have permission to plant what we want. I've been stationed in places for 4 -5 years at a time, and if I had it all over again, some plants I would have planted first!!!!! Namely, phlox and bulbs in DC and my Plumeria trees in Miami. If you were to do it all over again, what plants would you have planted first? I love sweet and fragrant, butterflies and especially hummingbirds :)

BTW, I had hummers in Pembroke Pines (Miami) for 6 MONTHS!!!! They just loved my pink powder puff :)

Thanks!!!! Christy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you have planted first?

As soon as I saw the question, I thought phlox. Rudbeckia and coneflower would be second and third. All are easy to grow and very rewarding. Love that they seed around.

o

I had a Phlox David, but it reverted to pink. I had one by my front door and it smelled so good! Which Phlox would you have picked?

o

Welcome! I'd go with salvias (perennial and annual) for the hummers and Bright Lights cosmos and Buddleia for butterflies.

o

I would also plant gardenias. Buy them as big as you can afford because they can sometimes be slow to grow. They can be tricky to get to bloom while in a pot but most of them have no trouble blooming once in the ground.

Last year all the butterfly action was focused on my zinnias, this year it is all about coneflowers (but not the double or mop top types).

o

This property is BARE!!!! He planted about 12 Dwarf Burning Bush in various locations around the house. They are all about 6" tall. There is not one flower or tree on the entire acre!!! Not much in the neighbors' yard's, either. I realize I am renting, and will not be able to retain what I plant, but I must leave my fingerprint!!! I'm looking at planting a sweet olive tree - Fruitlandii (I'm in 7b, 27944), some Phlox 'David', and some Lo and Behold Blue Chip Buddleia. I bought on clearance today some wave petunias, regular petunias, some lantana, dahlia's, stella d' oro and a hibiscus - a hardy one to this zone (Rose of Sharon? It's maroon in color). Any thoughts? Clearly I get good heavy sun - there is not ONE tree!!!! There is no shade - I would love a fast growing tree!!! Thanks :) Christy

Oh, and I love fragrant, butterflies, year round color (not from one plant, of course :) and Hummingbirds!!!

o

Vitex,vitex,vitex. Fragrance and fast grower.

Hummers will like your hibiscus but they'll love you if you plant salvias and other tube shaped flowers that are long bloomers.

o

I put in two Black and Blue Salvia today! I'm considering a Pineapple Salvia, but the one I had in Maryland always bloomed after the hummers left. Also considering a hot lips salvia. I'll look at that Vitex!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here