Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with small red bugs

Posted by sam88 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 23:29

We have been having a problem with extremely small red bugs on our outside door and floating in out dogs water bowl. We have an inground outside pool and they have also been floating in that. My husband has been cutting down two fields that outline our yard. The problems stared last April and the exterminator told us that we had bed bugs or fleas. The sprayed the house and we have seen no evidence before they sprayed or since. Problem seemed to go away with Winter, but now that Summer is here and my hushand is working in the yards/fields a lot, problem has returned. My husband constantly complains of bugs/something crawling all over him off/on during the day, but he can't find anything. He had bites on his legs a few weeks agao, but he now thinks that those were mosquitoes or bee bites for now no more bites. One night last week he felt something on his face and went into the bathroom and knocked one of the bugs off him into the sink (only time we have seen anything). Bug was a clear-skin like color - we think it might be a red bug or possibly some kind of mite. Does anyone know what they are or how to get rid of them? He is the only one having problems with bugs, I am not and my child is not having any problems. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with small red bugs

Clover mites? You first say they are red bugs then you describe them later as 'clear-skin like color'. Which is it? I've seen the mites that are red, look like tiny strawberries in color and shape and ,when squished, leave a reddish streak.
This time of year you also have lots of baby spiders wafting on the breeze on their silken tethers. That you can feel on your skin also.
If he's not getting any more bites then just the touch of spider silk or blowing dust is enough to give someone the creepy-crawly feeling.
Some years are buggier than others and it's those years we hope for more birds and bug predators like dragonflies. I wouldn't try to get rid of the bugs but encourage your husband and kids to wear sunscreen with a light repellant formula. Accent on 'light' because too much or too often ..neither is good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here