Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catrionna

Gardenia

catrionna
13 years ago

Greetings all.

I live in the NC mountains, technically zone 7. Lowest average temp is 20, highest is almost 90. I have a fairly acidic yard and plan to keep it that way.

Though we have snow and cold winters, it rarely drops to the teens in my microclimate. My Mom lives near Charlotte and so far I've been able to grow almost everything she has... including a jasmine I started from her garden. It's not as outrageously huge as her jasmine but it is growing well.

So. I found a drawf Gardenia Radicans this evening and fell in love. It's the low-growing groundcover type. I know I shouldn't trust the guide that states it's hardy to 0 degrees but love is blind :) I've grown some fairly impossible things (including a fig) so I now have a gardenia.

I have an area under my front porch that's been waiting for the perfect groundcover. My house sits high on a hill so it's the warmest spot in my yard. I'm having grand visions of buying three more of these "0 degree" gardenias. Am I delusional or is there hope for this relationship?

For what it's worth, my Mom has a Gardenia of unknown type that is now about five feet tall and four feet wide. She basically planted it and not much else since. She is also zone 7 and had almost as much snow/cold last year as I did. (Though how we can be the same zone is a mystery to me. It gets so hot there in the summer the trees wilt.) She's had it almost ten years now and it's survived many a snow and ice storm. It's the biggest, greenest, happiest gardenia I've ever seen.

I should be sensible and just plant the one gardenia I bought and see how it does. Would I be a complete dunce to give in to the sale and fragrance and buy three more? I'm usually a sensible person but this has to be the best smelling flower I've ever encountered. Most gardenias have an 'aftersmell' to me that I don't like, which is why I've never tried one before. This one has a sweet fragrance with no weird undertone.

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I'm so happy to hear you say that about the fragrance- i've long thought that too, but most don't seem to notice the difference! I just keep my mouth shut about the extra unpleasant part of regular gardenias and when i plant them, they'll be much further out in the yard. BTW, they make great little cut flowers for tiny vases or shot glasses, holding that fragrance for several days. I like to keep one at my desk.

I have a radicans planted right outside my front door that is doing just great and has been for about 15 years. Over that span of time, we've had ice up to nearly an inch, lots of snow- up to 23", and very cold temps (i think the lowest has been around 7-8 degrees) with no protection from snow and it's never fazed it. I guess if it were me and you love it so much, i'd be willing to try 3 as long as they aren't too expensive. If you know you have a little warm spot, go for it! Close to your building will give it a bit extra shelter and will allow you to drink in the fragrance!

• scurbanfarmer
    13 years ago

Oh, you've sold me on this Gardenia as well from your delightful explaination of it!
    I agree with Tamelask...if they are not too expensive, I'd go for it.
    I'm not helping much, but it sounds like you found an amazing Gardenia!

• catrionna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks most gardenias have a weird undertone.

I think I'll do it. I'm usually very frugal and either use cuttings or buy things off of 'death row' and revive them. These gardenias are fairly inexpensive so I think I'll give it a go. The worst case scenario is that they'll die this winter. In that case, I'll still get to smell them for the rest of this summer :)

Well, there's the work involved in the planting of them, I suppose. That's ok though.... I love putting things in the ground and watching them grow!! So far I've been lucky in that the majority of my plants oblige me and survive.

• User
    13 years ago

Catrionna,
    The radicans should be fine where you live.
    Remember,the air temps are not the ground temps.
    Just mulch it well and it should grow fine for you.
    Worst case is it may loose a branch over the winter, but you should be able to grow those.
    I love them.
    Just don't get the varigated ones unless you have a real shady spot for them. They can't take hot sun like the green radicans can.

• mbuckmaster
    13 years ago

It's a little late for these to get really fully established before winter, but if you water well through the summer and not too much near the end of winter they'll probably be fine. Make sure to amend and plant it a little high for adequate drainage...I bought six radicans four years ago and they died over a wet winter in my clay soil. If I would have amended the soil properly they'd still be alive (poor little guys!). Good luck!...I think they'll be just fine.

Btw, I have also noticed the difference in fragrance between the species and radicans...but prefer my bigger 'Chuck Hayes' and 'Frostproof' still! The radicans doesn't smell as powerful or good to me. To each her/his own!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus