Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dellare

Hummingbird Day, 2008

dellare
15 years ago

I just finished posting a blog and video on our annual hummingbird day at BB's. Thought you guys might like to see. Thank goodness for the cool weather on that day and the few days before. I find it hysterical that 89 and low humidity qualifies as cool these days, I guess I must be a carolina girl now for sure. Darn it I had to come back to this posting and take out the link cause if has bbff in it. Oh well if any of you really want to see it you can go to our website at b-b-f-f.com and click on the blog guerrrrr. Adele

Comments (9)

• dellare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot I could link to my personal youtube site for the Hummingbird Day video. Adele

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Day, 2008

• tomatomike
    15 years ago

Adele,

Please check your e-mail. I have an interest in the Hummingbird day.

Thanks,

Mike

• Lynda Waldrep
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing. Even hubbie enjoyed watching your video. I don't put up feeders due to ant problems, but I always have hummers around certain plants. Tell us which plants they seem to prefer here in the Piedmont. Mine like the salvias and the cardinal flowers, but I am sure they feed on lots more.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Wow thank you for sharing that! We are visiting Daniel Stowe on Saturday to see the Hummingbird banding and it is nice to get a preview of what we can expect!

I do not put up feeders either, both the ants and squirrels make this very impractical, but I do plant as many plants to attract and feed them as possible. The really seem to enjoy Red Lantana, mandevilla and native honeysuckle.

Thanks again

• tamelask
    15 years ago

Adele, next year post before y'all are gonna do it. Betcha you'd get a bumper crop of GW's out there to attend.

• dellare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I apologize Tammy. I actually agonized over whether to post it here. I didn't know myself until the Monday before and then we were scurrying around to be ready for it since we also were having the master gardeners and Mike Papay this time. We do have a place on our website to sign up to get emails for sales and events. We have almost four hundred people signed up and I personally send out all the email notifications.

Susan Campbell said the number one plant for hummers in North Carolina is Salvia guaranitica (brazilian sage). Its blue but they don't seem to care. It might be Susan doing the banding at Daniel Stowe. I think she is one of the only if not the only one certified to do hummingbird banding in North Carolina. Adele

• DYH
    15 years ago

Yes, Susan is doing the banding at Daniel Stowe on Saturday. We won't be able to make it, but I'd love to go to one if it were closer....like Sanford! LOL

Yes, our hummers prefer salvia Black and Blue and salvia gregii:

{{gwi:267814}}

{{gwi:580896}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

yup- i've seen the hummers going to town on my b&b. They like the lipstick, too.
    No worries, Adele- i think it was when we were on vaca anyhoo. I just thought it was a point for next time. I NEED to sign up for those sales emails!! :)

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I just got home from Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, It was fun to watch and they answered a lot of questions about Hummers in general, feeding, fave plants, migration. Very entertaining and informative! I had never been to the Garden but I plan to go back soon! It really is a beautiful place, was just too hot to fully appreciate!

Frances

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH