Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquadragonfly

Where are you in NC?

aquadragonfly
11 years ago

A LONG time ago there was a post asking this, it pretty much filled up and I guess got lost lol. I thought I would see if we STILL have as many people in NC as we used to or if there are more here NOW.

I would really like to know if there are many people near ME...I would like to have a plant swap so if there are enough people I can start working on that!

I will start. I am on the outskirts of Shelby, in a little whole of a town called Earl.

SO where are you? Come on now folks PLEASE post, even you lurkers who are afraid to post. PLEASE post an tell us where you are in NC!!!

:) Aqua

Comments (142)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

coorscat, try going back up to May 19 posting of two holt and look at her attachment.

• ifitspecs4u
    10 years ago

Just joined a few days ago, in Apex, close to Cary Raleigh Durham

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

ooh, ifits..check out the Exchanges part of our Carolina forum and you'll find there's the oldest and best plant swap/gathering of gardenwebbers coming up in October
    you can attend.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    10 years ago

ooh, ifits..check out the Exchanges part of our Carolina forum and you'll find there's the oldest and best plant swap/gathering of gardenwebbers coming up in October
    you can attend.

• itzybitzy_gw
    10 years ago

Greensboro,here!!

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

West Cary, edging toward Apex. I'm mostly on the Kitchen forum, but turning my attention back to the garden now.

• dogridge
    10 years ago

I'm in Cary.
    I'd love to do individual swaps, "see my garden" type thing. (Not necessarily an organized event, but more of a "come see my garden and take home some cuttings/divisions.") I've contacted a couple of neighbors who have pretty gardens and have had a favorable response. We're planning to swap some plants once the weather cools down. Contact me if you want to see my garden and take something home!

• plantbug
    10 years ago

dogridge, How do I contact you? plantbug

• mobarnica
    10 years ago

Asheville now, but moving to Franklin this summer.

• graycrna4u
    10 years ago

Gary in Clemmons; just outside of Winston Salem. I am into peonies (herbaceous, itoh or hybrid, and/or tree peonies.

• piedmontnc
    10 years ago

Asheboro here.

• K
    10 years ago

I'm in Greensboro.

• hamchuk
    10 years ago

Hello! I'm in the Asheville area. We just moved here in 2013, still setting up the infrastructure. We're on a steep mountainside so erosion control is a must. We enjoy edible, ornamental, and wildlife/native gardening. Definitely up for swapping cuttings/seeds/etc.

• Southerngirl44
    9 years ago

Hi all !

We just moved to Goldsboro. I grew up in FL, but lived in SLC, UT. I have a blank skate to work with. Our home has the meatball shrubs and done of the saddest looking oak trees I have ever seen and some pines that we call our Dr. Seuss trees because they look like something from his books. And grass... Lots and lots of grass...

• av_ocd_girl
    9 years ago

I live in Rockingham, NC. About 80 mi. east of Charlotte, and 70 mi. south of Greensboro.

• kittikity
    9 years ago

Hi everybody. And hi Southerngirl44. I too grew up in Florida. I am currently in Ohio (my husband is already in NC) and I and the kids will be moving to NC this summer. My husband's job is in Durham so we'll be moving no more than 45 mins from that.

I'm into the whole homesteading thing. Garden, livestock, alternative energies. So I want at least a couple of acres. But considering we don't have a down payment saved up, we're going to be renting first. Probably just a small yard for me. I might look into any community gardens in the area.

I currently have a couple of things in buckets. Blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb, mini banana plants
    (just put outdoors), strawberries, blueberries. But with this harsh winter I'm afraid I may have lost my blackberries and raspberries. Also have a couple of house plants and herbs indoors.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    9 years ago

I'm in Union County, south of Charlotte, I haven't been here long and am just starting to garden. I don't know much about gardening in this region. I'm planting a few trees - serviceberry, IE Mulberry and some figs, No sure whether to amend the soil with organic matter or backfill with just what came out of the hole. Interesting, both werre recommended in different articles on the same site (NC extension gardener)! Also got contradictory advice about growing vegetables. Someone told me to situate the garden on the east side of the yard (because south is too hot) and someone else said south side only - veges like that hot sun all day. In PA it would definitely be planted on the south side, but it is so much colder up there and the summers are shorter. Anyway, I am excited to be here and looking forward to successful gardening.

• ernanc
    9 years ago

I am in High Point, 30 min from either W/S or GSO.
    Would love to know if the winter seed exchange is still happening - that's a big reason I joined this site.

• cindip
    9 years ago

Albemarle, about 30 miles east of Charlotte

• Teresa Jennings
    7 years ago

I am a transplant from NY, to Smithfield, NC and just recently moved to Leland, NC. I love it down here in Leland and eager to learn about trees and plants in this area.

• veggiefunncz7a
    7 years ago

I am in South side of winston-salem. Love vegetable gardening.

• beachbarbie
    7 years ago

Teresa J, I live in Kure Beach.

Barb

• graycrna4u
    7 years ago

Clemmons, just outside of Winston Salem.

• Josh
    7 years ago

Asheville NC amongst the Blue Ridge Mountains. I Grow tropicals & natives

• Karen
    7 years ago

Just moved to Charlotte from NYC. I grow tropicals and annuals mainly. Interested in meeting and exchanging with other gardeners here.

• veggiefunncz7a
    7 years ago

I am in winston-salem, NC. I do vegetables and very interested in heirlooms. Would love to talk to people in the area doing the same.

• dalock7b
    7 years ago

I live in Charlotte. Karencd, I moved here from NYC too but 10 years ago. I'm trying to build up a garden of edibles.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    6 years ago

I am in Waxhaw. I moved here five years ago from Pittsburgh. Lived in Pittsburgh for 12 years and before that we were in Atlanta for 10 years. I love the south. So happy to be back! I grew up in NYC, but haven't lived there in 25 years I am trying to start a little garden of fruit trees and Berry bushes. I am thinking about trying bush cherries next year

• whitewatervol (Z 8a/7b Upstate SC)
    6 years ago

I live near Easley, SC. Used to live in Sanford, NC. Wish we had a Big Bloomers type of nursery here!

• Jeanette
    6 years ago

Conway SC

• nanapam02
    6 years ago

South Raleigh at the City Limits of Fuquay Varina. Live surrounded by very large Oak, Poplar, Maple trees. Tried to find home on Google Earth and all you see is the roof. Grow Hellebores, iris japonica, Hosta and love the Christmas Ferns. Within the last couple of years we have given away numerous truck loads of Hellebores. Iris Japonica goes to the dump. The one I have would call "invasive". Getting rid of plants and trying to go more natural.

• bobg51
    6 years ago

Hi I am moving to New Bern sometime soon....anyone garden around that area ?

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    6 years ago

Hello Nanapam02, We have quite a few gardenwebbers living close by.

Join us for the Garden swap meet. It is fun!! You can share plants that you have and get some in return too!! I think they are a few who show up with Native plants.

• morningloree
    6 years ago

Just moved from Florida and now I live in Camden, NC. Closest large city is Elizabeth City, I am also close to Edenton and Hertford. The Outerbanks is about one hour away. When I was in FL did a lot of tropicals, especially Passionflowers. I will drive quite a ways for swaps and participated in a few while in FL.

• greenie
    6 years ago

Just moved to Raleigh a few months ago, and just joined Houzz today. I used to be active on the Gardenweb forums of old. We are renting in a dark apartment now, so not much going on in terms of gardening, but I'm looking forward to learning more about my new area and how to garden in it.

• morningloree
    6 years ago

Learning about this area as well. Apparently chose to move right before the worst winter most people around here have experienced. Hopefully you will be out of your dark apt and into a more sunny location soon. I just planted a couple of cherry trees today, Black Tartarian and Ranier. They would never grow in FL where I just moved from. Was very active in Gardenweb as well.

• greenie
    6 years ago

morningloree, yes you're right! I had guests staying with us during one of the coldest weeks and we didn't get to have much fun outdoors, that's for sure. But warm temps in February made up for it, and I'm happy about flowers and buds and the promise of Spring! I know I'm going to have to get used to red clay here, that will be a challenge. Although my USDA Hardiness zone is the same as where I used to live, I still have more opportunity to keep tender plants like Dahlia and Agapanthus in the ground over the winter, which I couldn't do before. Are you in NC? I'm guessing you're somewhat south of me if your zone is 8a.

• morningloree
    5 years ago

I am coastal near the outerbanks. Really on border of 8a/7b. I am trying Agapanthus and Dahlia, the Dahlias I could not grow in FL, where I used to live.

• jeeper55
    5 years ago

Here in Person county NC about 20 miles from the VA, line we also had the coldest temps in my 25 years here. we also lost some things like my 10 ft. tea olive and my beauty berry bush, and waiting to see what else that not coming back.

• morningloree
    5 years ago

I know how you feel. I had some cold hardy bananas that were supposed to do okay here. So far just brown and very unhappy looking. I have a feeling I lost them.

• cindip
    5 years ago

I live in Stanly county and there are a few plants that I fear I have lost. I am not going to give up just yet.

• n2xjk
    5 years ago

Clayton NC. My garden is about 40' by 30'. Beekeeper too.

• jeeper55
    5 years ago

Always interested in bees but never got around to doing it. they sure are scarce around her in person county.

• Liz K 7b-8a Charlotte
    5 years ago

Just south of Charlotte. All of my figs died to the ground this Winter. I guess I will be covering them up for the next few winters. I now wish I had grown them in containers and stored them in the garage until they got a few years under their belts.

• bunti
    5 years ago

My figs also died to the ground. Few of them coming back. Few I don’t see the growth yet. 3 of My kiwis also died to the ground. 1 started to shoot and one showing little life. Other has no sign.

I live in south Charlotte too. What are all the fig varieties do u have?

• chas045
    5 years ago

Liz K & bunti: I am in 7b and planted a Brown Turkey fig two years ago. It died to the ground but returned and even produced a few figs. Last year, I covered the base with pine straw and wrapped the branches in bubble wrap and cardboard. Semi fell apart but mostly still covered thru winter. All branches (~4' tall) seem to be alive and sap is rising slowly so only the lower portions have budded out but all buds appear healthy.

• jeeper55
    5 years ago

Still live in south east Person county, we had a bad winter this year. lost a 7 ft. tea olive tree, also 6 ft beauty berry bush and all my Jasmine vines which i have had for years, and my bottle bush that i planted last fall.

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    5 years ago

Jeeper55,

I think they will soon show signs of life. Sometimes the cold weather holds them back!

• jeeper55
    5 years ago

Sure hope so i would like to see them start leafing out.

• K
    5 years ago

I am in Granville County, about an hour north of Raleigh. One year new to this property and working to get the garden in shape after a few years of neglect. Thought I might accomplish a lot this spring, but today's heat has knocked me for a loop! 92, with 100 heat index. Is it really only May?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz