Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where are you in NC?

Posted by aquadragonfly 7b NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 0:26

A LONG time ago there was a post asking this, it pretty much filled up and I guess got lost lol. I thought I would see if we STILL have as many people in NC as we used to or if there are more here NOW.
I would really like to know if there are many people near ME...I would like to have a plant swap so if there are enough people I can start working on that!

I will start. I am on the outskirts of Shelby, in a little whole of a town called Earl.

SO where are you? Come on now folks PLEASE post, even you lurkers who are afraid to post. PLEASE post an tell us where you are in NC!!!

:) Aqua

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where are you in NC?

I live in Summerfield, which is only four mi. north of the Greensboro city limits. I also have property near Boone, so I am interested in both Piedmont and mountain plants.

I am surprised that you are 7B. I am a cold 7 and cannot grow some of the plants people can grow in Chapel Hill or Raleigh.

Good luck with your "project."

o

I am in Asheboro and love to go to swaps. My first love of plants was hosta and then natives. Keep us updated. plantbug

o

I am south of Greensboro, near Climax - probably a little far for a plant swap with you, but it would be fun to get one together for the Piedmont area.

o

Marvin, just south of Charlotte on the NC/SC line.

o

I see the Carolina side is still slow, I wish we had more activity here.

Hey plantbug, would love for you to come to a swap, I did one YEARS ago an a few people showed up but I would love to have a lot more if I have another one. IF I do one it will be in the spring, I don't have anything ready yet for a fall one but IF enough people were interested I might throw one together.
I like hosta too, I only have a few though, I also LOVE heuchera I want lots more of them but they are not easy to find around here. I hate to order them online but I guess if I get the ones I really want I will be at some point :).

ncrescue I am in 7b, if you look it up on the plant hardiness zone it says 7b :).

wilson1 EVERYBODY is up that way lol. I have been to the one in Garner once. It was a while ago...Seems everyone is too far away from this area and no one wants to travel for a plant swap (with the exception of plantbug LOL)

Ok well folks, keep posting where in NC you are!

o

wilson1, I am not too far from you. Are you interested in seeing if we can trade?

o

aqua, I was wondering if many folks had left; post count is low. I am near Pittsboro, just south west out of the Triangle which puts me in the middle of the state in the piedmont.

Since you were specifically asking about location, I would like to point out that I had to google Shelby because I had no idea where you were! I see you are southwest of Charlotte near the SC border.

o

chas045, I figure if people are in this area they KNOW where Shelby is. It is the big city down this way and most everyone knows it, I would say within a 50 mile radius maybe a little more.

When I had a plant swap before I DID post where we were, at this point I was just asking WHERE in NC people are because it is nice to see people from the same state on here!
AS a BONUS I thought IF enough people were around here to make a swap work I would set one up! I was hoping there were more people around me now then there were last time but I guess there still are not.

Apparently you have to live near Raleigh to get a good one going, which is sad really because with the gas prices now it is really hard for me to drive that far even though I had a blast up there at the one TJ holds the time I got to go.

SO come on folks WHERE are YOU in NC???

o

I think you are going to have to be a little patient. I suspect that there are others like me who have stopped checking Carolina Gardening on a regular basis because the posting count is so low. I'm sure there are plenty of people near you in the regional sense.

There are also people who attend swaps who are not regular posters. I recently went to the Raleigh swap mainly to match faces with screen names and was surprised that many people didn't post.

o

I'm back in Matthews again. Not a swapper.
I've been in GW since '03 and there are just a few
of the old posters left. Hope the rest of them are
just lurking/reading. Still wear my GW teeshirt when
I go out plant shopping. People new to the area or new
to being a homeowner just don't know how great a resource
GW is.

o

I'm in Concord, about 25 miles north of Charlotte.

o

I'm a newby in Hendersonville, NC. Moved here in January. Wish this board was more active! Not as many gardeners around here as I'd like---tried to join the local iris club only to find it was dissolved last year :(

o

Barbara, Wallburg, just south of Winston-Salem.

o

Barbara, Wallburg, just south of Winston-Salem.

o

• Posted by royceag 7b Charlotte, NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 11:39

Hi, I'm newly in Charlotte. Don't have anything to swap at the moment beyond seeds but, I'm game!

o

royce, what part of Charlotte specifically?

o

Hi! I'm in Cary. Haven't checked in here much lately, but I've learned a ton from this forum over the years!

o

I'm in Hendersonville. Rachaelthepoet, contact me.

o

Hi, I'm in Winston-Salem.

There's a local Master Gardners plant swap in the Spring here in Winston. You don't have to be Master Gardener to participate.
I've been going to the Raleigh Swap for the last 4 years. It's an hour 45 minutes away. It's a great swap and great group of people. I do alot of preswapping prior to the swap.

o

I am in Raleigh,
NC 27612

o

Hey, Plantbug! Yes, I would love to get a swap going in our area. Maybe we could even have a few of those Summerfield people join us. Let's see what we can get organized.

o

Blueangel here west Charlotte on the Catawba
have been on GW since its beging 97/99 something like that at that time you did not need to be a member I jioned as a member in 99 when GW went that way,not the same any more
I rarely post since my stroke in 06,just don't remember
thing any more I did attend a plant rescue had fun.I no
longer garden just a few plants sad ince I owned a nursery
but today I just don't remember the names.

o

You might not remember us,blueangel, but we sure have missed you!

o

I'm in the South Park area of Charlotte and I just put together this plant swap for September 22, 2012: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/exch0814125823421.html?21273

I've been going to the Raleigh swap and my mouth waters (figuratively) just thinking about how awesome that swap is! Hopefully we'll have as many enthusiastic swappers as they do. I hope you all can make it!

o

Blueangel, I remember you. Dottie is right you have been missed.

Lainey good luck with your swap, hope lots of people come.

o

I don't check in much no more but I still live in southern Person county about 25 miles north of Durham.

o

I have pretty much lurked on this Forum since the early days of GW living in several SC locations. Two months ago we moved into NC, residing now in the Greensboro area with just enough garden space to allow me to continue some ideas I enjoy tinkering with in a little more forgiving climate. I will be watching for plant swaps to attend in this area.

o

We (Greensboro/HP area) used to have swaps when I first joined, about 10 years ago. I only went to two (fun) because of conflicts with other activities. The seed swap in the late fall or winter was also good.

Somebody always has to coordinate these things, and I have to confess I have too much on my plate now to offer to do this. Maybe a seed swap this winter will be a place to re-start? We need a "leader!"

o

I'm from the Fayetteville area in the sandhills. Also have been trying to get interest to have a seed/plant swap maybe even a support group at my house.. harder then I thought.

I can be mostly found on the hot peppers forum.

o

I am in Marvin also, tucked between Charlotte, Waxhaw, Weddington.

o

I am also in Greensboro and would love to go to a plant/seed swap!

o

Less than ayear in sw charlotte. Steele Creek would love to swap but don't have anything. But maybe apotluck for gardeners. I can cook.

o

Less than ayear in sw charlotte. Steele Creek would love to swap but don't have anything. But maybe apotluck for gardeners. I can cook.

o
RE: check out swap in Charlotte

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/carolgard/exch0814125823421.html?21273

Thanks laineyplantgrower!

o

I'm in Duplin County, south of Goldsboro, down in the sand plains. I read this forum regularly and I've attended several of the swaps in Gardner, although I wasn't able to make the trip last April.
I'm originally from the northern US and after 16 years in North Carolina I'm still trying to learn to garden in hot, dry sand. (This summer it's wet sand.) I have learned a lot from this forum.
Anna

o

It must be too much to hope to find gardeners in my area. I so wish I could. Plant swaps are fun but I think it would be awesome to have a gardening club/meet.

Oh well, my hope is waning fast I will ever meet gardeners in this area....

:( Aqua

o

ya know Aqua..you might try meeting local gardeners at your local garden centers and get them to come here to GardenWeb. Then you'd have a ready-made chat group here
from your area.

o

Aqua, You may be correct that there are too few gardeners in your area, but the title of this post and the newer South Carolina post are certainly not a good way to find out if this is true. The title should have been something about Swap Interest near whatever general area you are in. I see no reason that you still shouldn't do that.

However , may I suggest another approach. All NC counties have agricultural extension agents and I believe they all give gardening classes. Attend some, and see if you can drum up some interest there.

o

I wanted to see where everyone was located so yes it is correct. THE swap approach was just to see IF there were any people close enough to maybe HAVE one. THIS post was to see where you are in NC, NOT to organize a swap from.

It is just nice to see where everyone is located there was one of these post a long time ago and everyone was near the Raleigh area apparently they still are.

Dottie, I don't usually go to garden centers and when I do I don't talk to people. I have posted a swap meet before for my area no one was interested.

o

I'm in Hertford, NC, very close to Elizabeth City. I've been here just over a year :) Christy

o

kbmomto3boys..Weddington has a really nice garden club. I used to belong but got too busy especially for the social get togethers.

o

I live in south Raleigh, just off the beltline (you can hear the traffic) but in a country setting due to NC State taking over most of the old Dorthea Dix farm land for crop research. So I have all the convenience of shopping and big city entertainment but with views of soybean fields and cattle while driving in and out of the neighborhood. After moving here from Oklahoma I lived in Garner (which is why the swaps are in Garner, down the street from my old house) in a deep shade yard. As you can see I traded up for solid sunshine at the new place, which is really a much older house.

I try to grow just about anything and I will try extra hard to grow anything edible. I have flowerbeds and ornamental trees around the house, a cactus garden out by the driveway, a kitchen garden in front of the house and then areas with fruiting vines, bushes and trees off to the side.

o

Hey everyone! This is my very first post on this site :) I'm a newby to gardening and such. I am originally from Durham, but I live in Timberlake now - about 20 minutes north of Durham in Person County. Lots of awesome farmland out here to mess around with!

o

North Raleigh

o

Hi,

I live in W Charlotte. I do have huge collection of Jasminum sambac. I am basically from tropical area, I know only tropical plants. I have started learning native plants. I am collecting native plants for my yard. I do have few iris bulbs for swap.

o

John, WOW..it's about time you shared a photo like that!
Amazing what you have accomplished, Outstanding!

o

I know it's several months late, but I've just joined this site. My husband and I bought a small cottage in Highlands, North Carolina this past spring. We are renovating the cottage inside and out. We are looking forward to creating new gardens around the little cottage beginning in 2013. I am posting the link to our blog which tells the story of Two Holt. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Holt

o

Greensboro - veg garden, blueberries,blackberries,trying to grow apples..) and work on a church garden for local food programs

o

I am on the coast at the northern end of Hampstead, about 5 minutes away from Topsail island. Basically I am in between Wilmington and Jacksonville.

o

Biscoe, central NC.

o

Hi everyone! I am in Pisgah Forest, just outside of Brevard. The closest city's are Hendersonville & Asheville. Been a member here for a long time, but only recently started to actively collect & harvest seeds, looking for round robin's, plant swaps, info on what grows easily here, etc... Don't know if I'm 7a or 7b??

o

Highland creek , Charlotte.

o

Kannapolis! North of Charlotte, South of Greensboro.

I'm a "rusty" master gardener due to working, but I'm in the garden just about all year.

June

o

I'm in Kure Beach. Just south of Wilmington. Because I'm on a narrow barrier island between the ocean and the Cape Fear river, we're warmer than Wilmington in the Winter and cooler in the summer. Nice, huh?
Barb

o

deansbooboo, I don't think many know where Pisgah Forest is; or Penrose, which is where I am. Send me a PM, please.

o

I'm in Tega Cay / Ft. Mill just south of Charlotte.

o

two holt..your blog is marvelous. I must bring it to the attention of my best friend who was born and raised in
Highlands.

o

Deansbooboo: I am in hendersonville. We are 7A! :)

o

I live in the country outside of Mount Olive, NC--which many would consider country anyway! It has been a wonderful place to live all my life except for 2 years when my husband was stationed in SD, Calif. MO is also the home to Mount Olive Pickles. We are 60 miles north of Wilmington, approx. 60 miles SE of Raleigh and 20 miles south of Goldsboro! I have been in and out of Garden forums for a number of years! Tis time for me to refocus and get my yard manageable! Sorry don't do swaps...since I still work PT. See Dottie from Charlotte that I remember.

o

Right outside Asheville here.

Been lurking and learning from Gardenweb since last year... have found some amazing information on gardening ever since. Just found the Carolina boards, though. Feel free to send me a PM if you live close by, to share information, seeds, plants, ect.

o

I'm new to this site and Im just starting to get a green thumb so any advise or plants will help. I live in Charlotte by the speedway.

Thanks Nancy

o

I'm new to this site and Im just starting to get a green thumb so any advise or plants will help. I live in Charlotte by the speedway.

Thanks Nancy

o

Nancy, between Dearness and Turtle Creek nurseries you have a wealth of choices and experts to help you up there
north of Charlotte. Turtle Creek used to be in East Charlotte but like many other nurseries had to move to less expensive land. Dearness has a nice website and classes like Youngs used to have.

o

jacksonville NC and new to this site with many questions, especially "what the heck is this" questions since i am not from anywhere near NC originally

o

Hey, Marinewifenc! I am in Hubert (between swansboro and jacsonville!!) Would love to chat.

o

I'm SouthEast of Wendell, about 20 miles East of Raleigh.

Here's a Google Maps pic of part of my yard including my garden (about 2000 sqft).

o

My first visit here, I am usually on the palm or cacti forum. I live in the small city of King. Just north of Winston Salem.

o

Smithfield here,
in the Cleveland Area and loving it.........
Teresa

o

Wow, been awhile since I visited this forum. Surprised to see this many response on this post!

John, you have a very nice place there!

Glad to meet you new folks hope you keep posting!

o

I am kavitha from charlotte (west side). Love gardening and have good collection of tropical plants. looking to collect more.

now collecting hydrangeas.

o

Raleigh, Inside the Beltline!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arthur in the Garden!

o

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 18, 13 at 17:30

Right now, I am in a hotel in Raleigh, relaxing after my second house hunting trip.

The 3rd and I hope last trip is scheduled for late June or July. We looked at some nice houses and found some lovely rural countryside on this trip, but did not find a house that hubby and I could both fall in love with. I think I saw a tree swallow at the house in Wendell that we toured, so maybe that is a sign to focus there, LOL.

I would love to attend a swap once I have an address in NC, but for the first year I would only be able to contribute seeds.

o

Thank you, Dottie, for the kind words. My husband is a retired educator and is in Highlands right now overseeing a little electrical work. I will be joining him after closing out my school year on Friday. :)
I will be taking up Jack Frost brunnera (3) and a Little Henry's sweetspire for planting in the little garden we started last year. I hope to make the Highlands plant sale but haven't heard anything about the date yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Holt Blog

o

I am near McGee's Crossroads near Garner, Smithfield, Fuquay-Varina, Angier, and Willow Spring.

o

Been seeing this near the top of the page for a while, so I figured I'd better chime in. I'm located in the Triangle, specifically Cary.

Interested mostly in hardy edibles, but also vegetable gardening.

o

Just south of Jacksonville

o

I am in Yadkinville, North Carolina. Years ago I started a thread about where are you in NC and that was in continuation to a thread that was previously posted and filled up! I have lived in Yadkinville, Thomasville, Goldsboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro (all in NC). My passion is roses but I love all gardening

Tammy O

o

Well,aquadragonfly, for my first trip to Highlands I must report one of my destinations was to find two_holt since her
blog was so interesting.
Her mountainside yard is almost totally transformed to beautiful gardens. The result of unimaginable labor and love of plants native and non-native.

o

Well,aquadragonfly, for my first trip to Highlands I must report one of my destinations was to find two_holt since her
blog was so interesting.
Her mountainside yard is almost totally transformed to beautiful gardens. The result of unimaginable labor and love of plants native and non-native.

o

(oops) double posted, sorry.

o

Hendersonville here!

Gosh, was hoping there would be more activity here. I'm gonna privately ping some of the local folks who posted. :-)

o

Okay, this is just weird...Since we relocated to NC from KY I recreated a new user account to reflect the appropriate zone. I'm logged in as "KathyNC7a" but my previous post posted as from "KathyInZ6" (my former user name). Huh?!?!

o

Kathy, this is like the 6th iteration of the 'where are you' thread. When it gets too long, one of the regulars will start a new one.
Forum has been quiet this year..maybe due to too much rain keeping us from our garden projects.

o

I'm in Wesley Chapel, which is in Union County, just south of Charlotte.

o

Dottie it's from too much rain and having to pull weeds.
I am not complaining about the rain I am really not. I am complaining about the weeds I can't keep up with.
THEY love the rain more than the plants do.

Strang thangs happen sometimes Kathy...
How you liking NC so far?

o

I'm in Mountain Home. Newbie to gardening and this site. I have found so many helpful ideas and information on here that I joined. This is my first year doing a vegetable garden and am trying to be able to have fresh produce all year. Unfortunately most of all I bought this spring was hybrids which if I'm understanding are no good for seed saving. I'm still confused about the difference between heirloom, organic, and hybrid. ANY help or seeds is much appreciated! I can send SASE and hopefully be able to join in seed sharing eventually. Thinking I started with the wrong plants for sharing right now...HELP! 😌

o

Since things are slow at work today I re-read all these responses and it got me thinking - every once in a while I get asked to do a garden talk. I always give a hand out that lists my favorite places to shop, books I garden by, and websites I follow. And it never fails that some person in the crowd will get excited and want to start up some sort of social media web thingamabob where we can all chat and exchange ideas and form a community. A week or so later this person will contact me all upset that I haven't been active on their newly formed site. It just blows my mind. Why would anyone want to re-invent the wheel. I've probably spoken to garden clubs a dozen times and talked up GardenWeb at all of them and yet I don't think it has ever snagged a new person. I don't know why this site isn't busting at the seams with new people. It has had the biggest effect on my garden, far above any other "organization" garden club or whatever.

The swaps are a whole different animal - the one here in Raleigh (actually Garner) over time has become more of a meet and greet than a hard core plant exchange. I'm always amazed at how far some people will drive just to spend an afternoon talking with fellow gardeners!

o

I agree Trianglejohn. Why reinvent the wheel??
Also, it's one thing to start a group, another to keep it going once the initial flush is over. People like to start something new and fun, but it can be hard to keep it going.
Barb

o

That's funny John, I have been promoting GW to tell folks about it too.
I used to love coming here and reading everything, information, stuff people were doing, their gardens they were making or finished, their PONDS oh how I love ponds and just generally talking to folks.
It just isn't the same, I for one sure do miss it.
I think a lot of it has to do with all the social media out there now, just too many other sites to visit mainly FB.
I did actually start a group there for this area I am in and the surrounding counties.
I have has some luck with that but I still like checking out GW, there is just something special about this place for me.

o

I am in Raleigh and talk up Gardenweb to the other J C Raulston volunteers, but only know of a couple that have ever come to our plant swap as a result. I also have a couple of plant sales in the spring and I try to encourage most of the people that I meet there to come to our swaps, again with very limitd success.
Like John, a great deal of what I have planted (and I have a lot of different plants) and the knowledge I have gained are the result of Gardenweb and our local swaps. I would love to see the participation on-line and at these swaps increased because we would all have more plant lovers to learn from.

o

I'm not in NC, but wanted to chime in. We tried to get a swap started in Greenville, SC a few years ago and could not get people to attend! Posted signs, put it in the paper, etc. Who wouldn't want free plants and advice!? The most we ever had attend was six and two were me and my DH and the hostess! Didn't ever try again after the fourth one.

o

I joined this group in 2006 in hope of learning more about growing in the mountains of NC as I have always been a flatlander. I am in Whitter at about 3200 feet and Google Maps always shows my address as the Nantahala National Forest, but this has been private land since the late 1800's. Would love to hear from more people so I can learn more. http://goo.gl/maps/mR29B

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Map

o

coorscat, try going back up to May 19 posting of two holt and look at her attachment.

o

Just joined a few days ago, in Apex, close to Cary Raleigh Durham

o

ooh, ifits..check out the Exchanges part of our Carolina forum and you'll find there's the oldest and best plant swap/gathering of gardenwebbers coming up in October
you can attend.

o

ooh, ifits..check out the Exchanges part of our Carolina forum and you'll find there's the oldest and best plant swap/gathering of gardenwebbers coming up in October
you can attend.

o

Greensboro,here!!

o

West Cary, edging toward Apex. I'm mostly on the Kitchen forum, but turning my attention back to the garden now.

o

I'm in Cary.
I'd love to do individual swaps, "see my garden" type thing. (Not necessarily an organized event, but more of a "come see my garden and take home some cuttings/divisions.") I've contacted a couple of neighbors who have pretty gardens and have had a favorable response. We're planning to swap some plants once the weather cools down. Contact me if you want to see my garden and take something home!

o

dogridge, How do I contact you? plantbug

o

Asheville now, but moving to Franklin this summer.

o

Gary in Clemmons; just outside of Winston Salem. I am into peonies (herbaceous, itoh or hybrid, and/or tree peonies.

o

Asheboro here.

o

I'm in Greensboro.

o

Hello! I'm in the Asheville area. We just moved here in 2013, still setting up the infrastructure. We're on a steep mountainside so erosion control is a must. We enjoy edible, ornamental, and wildlife/native gardening. Definitely up for swapping cuttings/seeds/etc.

o

Hi all !

We just moved to Goldsboro. I grew up in FL, but lived in SLC, UT. I have a blank skate to work with. Our home has the meatball shrubs and done of the saddest looking oak trees I have ever seen and some pines that we call our Dr. Seuss trees because they look like something from his books. And grass... Lots and lots of grass...

o

I live in Rockingham, NC. About 80 mi. east of Charlotte, and 70 mi. south of Greensboro.

o

Hi everybody. And hi Southerngirl44. I too grew up in Florida. I am currently in Ohio (my husband is already in NC) and I and the kids will be moving to NC this summer. My husband's job is in Durham so we'll be moving no more than 45 mins from that.

I'm into the whole homesteading thing. Garden, livestock, alternative energies. So I want at least a couple of acres. But considering we don't have a down payment saved up, we're going to be renting first. Probably just a small yard for me. I might look into any community gardens in the area.

I currently have a couple of things in buckets. Blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb, mini banana plants
(just put outdoors), strawberries, blueberries. But with this harsh winter I'm afraid I may have lost my blackberries and raspberries. Also have a couple of house plants and herbs indoors.

o

I'm in Union County, south of Charlotte, I haven't been here long and am just starting to garden. I don't know much about gardening in this region. I'm planting a few trees - serviceberry, IE Mulberry and some figs, No sure whether to amend the soil with organic matter or backfill with just what came out of the hole. Interesting, both werre recommended in different articles on the same site (NC extension gardener)! Also got contradictory advice about growing vegetables. Someone told me to situate the garden on the east side of the yard (because south is too hot) and someone else said south side only - veges like that hot sun all day. In PA it would definitely be planted on the south side, but it is so much colder up there and the summers are shorter. Anyway, I am excited to be here and looking forward to successful gardening.

o

I am in High Point, 30 min from either W/S or GSO.
Would love to know if the winter seed exchange is still happening - that's a big reason I joined this site.

o

Albemarle, about 30 miles east of Charlotte

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here