Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquadragonfly

Where are you in SC?

aquadragonfly
11 years ago

I am almost in Blacksburg and to be fair I am actually in North Carolina BUT am looking to see how many people may be in this general area.

Thinking of maybe getting a plant swap going for us in this general area IF there is enough of us to have one here.

There have been a few in the past in SC and I had one way back when so let's see where everyone is.

I started the where are you in NC and thought I would be fair since this IS the Carolina's forum!

:)Aqua

Comments (20)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm in Aiken County, SC.
    14 miles North of Augusta, GA.

• josephine_sc
    11 years ago

Clemson

• kerai
    11 years ago

Columbia

• aquadragonfly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow all so far are all WAY down south.....

Aqua

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Fountain Inn, 17 miles south of Greenville, SC.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Don't post often,mostly a lurker these days, but I am in Anderson

• erin08
    11 years ago

Westminster

• widdringtonia
    11 years ago

I'm in Myrtle Beach.

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

Gilbert, SC (right outside Lexington)

• nannerbelle
    11 years ago

Kershaw, close to Lancaster

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

Pendleton, near Clemson.

• bev1065
    11 years ago

Hickory Grove

• bosewichte
    11 years ago

I'm in Anderson and would love to get together with fellow gardeners in this area! I see names in Pendleton and Clemson, all very close. Any thoughts? I'd wanted to join a garden club when I moved here but haven't had much luck finding one - someone mentioned an occasional meeting in Pendleton - maybe we'll have to make our own!

• thatcompostguy
    11 years ago

I don't know about forming a club, per se, but wouldn't mind getting together to meet sometime.

I've been a member of the National Home Gardening Club for a long time and those of us in SC who use their bulletin board online try to meet at Park Seed in Greenwood in late June when they have the Festival of Flowers. We didn't meet last year because it was 100F that weekend. But we communicate online year round. There are 3 or 4 of us. Used to be 8 or 10.

I'm not big into trading plants or saving seeds, but I don't mind sharing the end product if I have extra. Mostly veggies right now. Branching out into fruit trees. Will be a while before they start producing. I've got 8 acres, and a good bit of that is in fruit trees and/or veggie garden plots. I think around 100 fruit trees now and about 1/2 acre in veggie garden. I try to grow unusual veggies for a home gardener that you can't get at the grocery store or produce stand, but I do like the standards as well. I get 200 sweetpotato slips every year to plant and end up with closer to 300. I like yellow squash and zucchini. I've tried patty pan squash, but I don't care for them, so I'll not be doing them again. Green beans a couple times a year. Corn was spectacular last year, so I've expanded a plot so I can double what I had last summer. I have greens growing right now - collards, kale, rutabagas, turnips. I don't like them to get big like you find in late December. Mine are about as big as my hand spread out right now, so a little bigger and they'll be perfect.

I'm trying to get back into canning. I used to can a lot in Salem, but I moved and lived in a cracker box for a while and didn't have room. Now I built a bigger house and use the cracker box as the summer kitchen and there's plenty of room to can out there and store things. The last year has been about jams and jellies and pickled things. Lots of peach and blueberry things last summer. Hopefully lots of veggies and cucumber pickles next summer. Chow chow in the fall. etc.

Folks at work love fresh veggies and I bring things in to sell cheap. There is no profit overall, though individually, crop by crop, there are some obvious profits. 50 cents per pound for tomatoes and squash because they're easier to pick. $1 per pound for okra. $2 per pound for snow peas. $1 per grocery bag of greens. etc. There is another person at the office that also brings in veggies and we kind of work together to set prices so we don't disagree when we bring in different things on different days. Plus we trade things between ourselves as well as we have things that the other one wants. She has chickens, so lots of fresh eggs. I'm not crazy about them, but I won't turn them down. She has duck eggs occasionally. I really don't care for those, but they're not terrible.

I've been collecting (I guess you could say) tractors since 1998 to help with my gardening/farming efforts. Ford Jubilee NAA was the first, and it doesn't run any more. Then came a Massey Ferguson Model 65 (1960, I was told it was 55 HP, but think it's really 45 HP) that works great to till and bush hog. Then came a 2005 Kubota B7500 (26 HP diesel) with a belly mower that I bought used. It's awesome. Last summer, I bought two used John Deere 870's (28HP) - one with turf tires and a belly mower, one with ag tires, both with hard canopies. I use the one with ag tires to do the cultivation of row crops and other utility tasks like scraping the driveway. I had been saving a while for a new mid size and found these on Craig's List and couldn't resist. Plus, I have a Craftsman 26HP GS6500(?) that I bought from someone with the sleeve hitch on the rear for plows and things. It's neat for pulling a 4x8 wagon around and mowing grass, but it doesn't run right now either. Tires are flat, won't crank. Just sad. :-) All in all, it's too much, but I like to have fun and also to have the right tool for the job, and I think I have them now. If I only understood more about engines and things, I'd be better off. That's why I have a real job at Clemson to support my hobby at home. :-)

This post was edited by chrisb_sc_z7 on Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 8:57

• dottie_in_charlotte
    11 years ago

Aqua, in a couple of months you might find yourself living in SC depending on the results of the re-plotting of the border between NC and SC. It's almost done.

• bwaynef
    11 years ago

I'm in Clemson.

• newfarmer2
    11 years ago

I'm in Iva,SC.

• nannerbelle
    11 years ago

Well, I've been living in Kershaw, but the new house is under construction finally. I'll be moving to Rembert SC this summer and will have 50 acres to play on. I'm really excited about having the new and additional land. Even tho I'm kinda aggravated about starting over again, the land and new house is going to be a blast to work with. Yes, all the plants are coming with me, it's in the sales contract. I'm sure I'll be begging ideas again!! That is all the fun in this!!

• joraines
    11 years ago

I'm in the Holly Springs community between Inman (above Spartanburg) and Lyman. I will have pond plants to trade for anyone who needs them for other plants if interested this sprng and summer. Our small hay farm is Hampton Road Farms and we are between Hollywild Zoo and Furniture Warehouse. I would love to trade plants with other South Carolinians (or North Carolinians) in my area.
    I will have parrots feather, water celery, possibly water lilies, pickerel rush and a few others.

• hostalover67
    11 years ago

Mostly lurking here, in Wagener (between Aiken and Lexington)