Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neem Oil Question

Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 6:53

I've sprayed Neem oil on a couple of rose shrubs, and also on Gold Euonymus shrubs. Is this oil relatively a safe oil to spray on other shrubs/trees such as crapes, loropetalums, etc??

My Euonymus' get scale on them which Neem is good for, but I was wondering if it were also good for invading leaf pests such as aphids, etc? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neem Oil Question

I would think that the quantity of neem oil needed to treat heavily foliaged shrub/trees like crape and loropetalum would make it cost prohibitive.
With the aphids on crape, generally a strong water spray with a bit of detergent added can be done more frequently and with more effectiveness as it also washes off that 'honeydew' that attracts the black fungus that is so unsightly.
Be careful, whatever you do during this extremely hot weather when the plants are already stressed.

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 10:37

Okay, thanks.

o

Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 5:32

A landscaper came by last night and looked at my crapes. Funny I didn't notice it, but he saw they were loaded with aphids and black spot immediately. He told me what to do they next couple of weeks to get them back perky again. He said they'll be alright.

He said they (his family are growers) do a light mix of oil and pesticide combined, and they always look great. Must work for them 'cause they sell a ton of shrubs and trees.

o

I mix a small amount of Neem Oil with water and bio-soap. I don't use it full strength. Don't spray it on any fuzzy leaves, tender leaves or blooms. Some chartreuse leaves may be too tender, too. I wouldn't use it on hydrangea leaves, for example. The glossy, thick leaves such as on a rose bush or crape are fine. Only spray late in the evening to prevent burning from the sun. Lightly. Very lightly.

Cameron

o

Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 5:27

Thanks for the tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here