Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_owens9081478

Anyone else here have an addiction?

Tammy Owens
15 years ago

Good Morning everyone. I am in high point nc (near Greensboro). I will stand up and admit right now. I have an addiction. I am a rose-aholic, and just recently became addicted to irises. I have learned through trial and error how to (try) stay in bounds with my roses, although it wasn't easy. However, irises I can't seem to get a grip on yet. I have never even owned an iris until 3 weeks ago. I have been buying and buying and drooling over pics. I haven't planted all of them yet. I have purchased probably over a hundred...about 50 of them were un named. What can I do about this, I want to learn about irises but every time I come to the gardenweb, I am enabled onto something else...like clematis, angel trumpets, japanese morning glories and the list goes on. I guess I am a garden fanatic who needs an intervention(not).

Tammy

Comments (25)

• DYH
    15 years ago

Hi, my name is Cameron and I'm just addicted to gardening!

I've been a collector of plants in the past when I lived where I could safely grow hostas, hydrangeas, azaleas and daylilies away from deer.

Now, I'm a full sun gardener trying to co-exist with deer (and bunnies).

I love Dutch irises, Japanese irises, salvia greggii, agastache, and coneflowers. I could easily become a collector of any of those and have many in my garden...but there's room for more.

I think I'm about to become a seed sowing addict! I just got my first order of larkspur, poppies, zinnia, and more! I can't wait to use these in my garden among my perennials and shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: my addiction is so bad, I blog all the time

• Tammy Owens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cameron, I guess you might say I have an all around plant addiction too. But right now money is being spent on Irises and Roses. I also have clematis, angel trumpets, japanese morning glories, mandevillas, lilies, and the list goes on. I love gardening, I have tons of books and magazines on gardenening. I started sowing seeds last year, it's so cool to see your efforts in bloom. I have purchased many zinnia, and other flowering seeds from ebay in the spring. Did you know hummingbirds like zinnias? I have collected seeds from the zinnias and the cleome that I planted this spring. I love planting season.

Tammy

• rits
    15 years ago

I am looking for any little advise, tips, or tricks any of you more experanced turners can offer. The biggest thing I am having a problem with right now (go figure) is tool sharpening. I tend to burn the metal on the grinder so it dosen't hold an edge. Once you burn the edge and the metal loses it's temper how do you fix it?

=======================================

christine

Drug Intervention Massachusetts

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Hi This is Susan. I am addicted to Dahlias, Irises and Vegetables. It is Jan 9th and I have brocc, cabbage, cukes sprouting in my greenhouse. I have spinach, romaine, tango leaf sprouting in my coldframes. I am ordering 200 sweet potato slips next week. What is a gardener to do?

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

It's easy to spot us addicted gardeners. Our shoes and pants are clotted with mud, there are dirt streaks on our faces, and our green thumbs are constantly orange from the red clay soil we play in.
    Mail order catalogs litter our coffee tables and kitchen tables and dining room tables. Seed packets are everywhere.
    Our window sills are not covered with dust-collecting trinkets, they are clogged with seedlings or houseplants.
    Our gardens (we have several) are in constant disarray - they are never quite finished because just as we were about to finish one, we were distracted by another and another and another.
    If this sounds all too familiar, you, too are addicted.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

LOL Transplanted, I can so relate!

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Well, I just spent the past two days planting and transplanting 22 trees/shrubs....does that count as addiction?

Where do we go for help?...is there a GA?

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

mbuckmaster, we go to our closest nursery and shop till we drop. It might not fix the addiction, but it sure does give us the high! :-)

• dawgie
    15 years ago

I had an addiction, but the deer cured me. They eat almost everything in my yard, which takes much of the fun out of gardening. However, they haven't bothered most of my Japanese maples -- yet -- so my addiction is still alive in that regard. I've now got about 20 varieties, without enough space to plant them all in my yard.

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

My name is Lynne and I am a gardenaholic and seedaholic. My main focus this past year was daylilies and also clematis. This spring/summer could very well head off into another direction. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way .....

Lynne

• txtrnsplnts
    15 years ago

Oooh!!!! Quick!! Somebody lick me or cough on me or something- I want to be addicted too! I'm just drooling over all the 'complaints' of deer and pine needles and red clay. Wanna know what I have? Sand. Mesquite trees (no one tall named these bush sized frauds). Oh, and coyotes. Yep, they even infiltrate the military base. Is it May yet?

Marie
    (oogling seed catalogs and living vicariously)

• shari1332
    15 years ago

Addiction is actually a nice way to put it,lol. My husband calls it obsession and I completely understand the iris thing. Mine was daylilies in 2007. It was completely irrational to order the quantity that I did and I still don't have them all in the ground yet. Last year I returned to my normal gardening mode which is to collect any plant that I don't already have.

This year I have a brand new addiction- playing with my garden photos and posting them for sale at a couple of POD(print on demand) sites. It's very time consuming but I'm just a little OC,lol.

• byrdlady
    15 years ago

I am addicted to daylilies...... had 750, but had to move and potted up 300 to take. (Some garden web folks came to my daylily moving-fire sale 2 years back!) Had to go to daylily anonymous to decrease the # to 300. I even found a garden apron that proclaims I am addicted to daylilies. Oh well!!!! Enjoy your roses. Life wouldn't be fun without a passion!

Visit My Photos - 30 Pics

{{gwi:582807}}

Daylilies in the Landscape

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Beautiful gardens, byrd! But you realize you're not helping anyone out with their addiction by posting those pics, right?... =)

I took the first step and promised my wife I wouldn't buy any more plants or seeds until the Fall (with the charge that SHE buys veggie starts). A week after I made that vow, the Bluestone Perennials catalog came in the mail. What torture! If I wanted to take the more serious second step, I'd call and cancel my catalog...but I'm just not there yet.

..And I probably never will be!

• Tammy Owens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Addiction, is my my middle name. I hear that canceling catalogs can help but I have decided I don't want to be cured!

{{gwi:320213}}

{{gwi:582809}}

{{gwi:582812}}
    {{gwi:581389}}

{{gwi:261214}}

{{gwi:315332}}

{{gwi:582815}}
    {{gwi:582816}}
    {{gwi:582817}}

I love being in the yard! I go "walk about" several times a day just to be out there. I can't wait for Spring!!!!!

Tammy

• rosebush
    15 years ago

Yummy eye-candy!
    I think "obsessed" fits for me. I cannot pass up a seed stand or catalog, look at take-out as a way to get containers for winter-sowing, generally have "gardener's hands," and the shelf above my kitchen sink is filled with plants in various stages of sprounting or rooting. Not to mention my tiny patio, that has scads of containers, plants and garden paraphanalia. Oh, and there's my dining room, where the tropicals in pots come to keep warm on the nights the temps dip into the teens. . .And that's not even talking about my actual garden! :)
    Yep, I've got it, too! LOL

• byrdlady
    15 years ago

A mental health professional told me that addicted (I refer to them as passionate) gardeners, have less MENTAL problems!! Keep Growing!

• mikelsmisha
    15 years ago

For this addiction, may I recommend a trip to Plant Delight Nursery? Other than a lack of roses for sale, you can certainly treat (okay, feed) your addiction for walking through beautiful gardens and purchasing unusual perennials with a trip to Plant Delights on Sauls Road in South Raleigh. Fun! Winter open house is 02/27, 02/28, and then 03/06 and 03/07.

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

I am addicted to Salvias-first but I am open to other addictions :). Before that it was amaranthus. I know of no other addiction that makes the world more beautiful. And we don't get strung out we get worn out. We are a strange lot but usually a happy lot. Dirtrx

• lsst
    15 years ago

dirtx,
    Is amaranthus hardy in zone 7? If so where do you get the plants?
    Thanks!

• transplanted2scin07
    15 years ago

Hubby is well aware of my addiction and has been trying hard not to enable me. As I was headed out the door the other day to go pick up some paint at one of the big box stores he called out "promise me you won't buy any seeds!" I yelled back "I promise I won't buy any SEEDS!". I'm absolutely, positively, pretty sure I was already out the door and in the car when I didn't hear him yell "and no PLANTS either!".
    (The pansy I came back with was only 99 cents; even less expensive than a pack of seeds).

• nisey
    15 years ago

Okay. I must chime in to say thank you. The fact that I plan my work route around where nursery's are located and can't go through the regular entrance door at the big box store doesn't sound as fanatical as I thought. Yes, entrance and exit through the garden section is a must.
    The dogs have decided that the shrubs that have been sitting outside in their pots all winter are for them to play with instead of planting in the ground. Note to self: Must stop buying unless I plan to come home and plant it right away (keep telling myself that). Oh, well.
    Spring is around the corner.....goody....I see green!

• dirtrx
    15 years ago

I think that Amaranthus is an annual. I did see it listed as an herb a couple of times. I grow it from seed. It doesn't do much until it gets hot but then it will take off. It likes alot of sun. In my old yard it reseeded itself. I didn't find it to be weedy and was easy to pull if it was in the wrong place. I hope to buy some more seeds and start them in my new yard. They are pretty common so you can often swap seeds on the seed swap forum. I don't have much inventory so I will probably buy a specific type. I usually buy from Thompson and Morgan. If I run across a good deal I'll try and post it.

• amulet
    15 years ago

Peonies! Does anyone else here collect peonies? I just love them. Anyone with a deer problem should take a look at peonies. Nothing really eats them. The deer or rabbits will eat my hostas or daylilies, but never my peonies. The bloom season is short, but you can increase it by buying peonies with different bloom periods.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Roses, clematis, irises, etc. etc. etc.

Carla

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County