Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

Pond Shops in South Carolina??

jcjcjcx
15 years ago

At the end of next week, I'll be driving down for a 2 week vacation in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (actually staying in Surfside). Are there any pond shops in that area that anyone can recommend?

I just tried the internet Yellow Pages, but didn't come up with much. If there are no 'pond shops' what about garden centres that sell pond accessories?

I know there are several things that we can't get here in Canada (e.g. submersible solar lights, etc), so this will be a great opportunity to pick up some neat items (plus there is seems to be so much more variety in the U.S.).

I'm also interested in looking at some spitters and would like to get 2 metal cranes/heron statues.

Thanks, JC

Comments (5)

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I don't know what route you will be taking to get to Myrtle Beach, but if you are anywhere close to Charlotte, you may want to spend a couple of hours shopping there for your goodies. There is a large, upscale right Garden Center off I485 at Ballantyne that has some nice things like the cranes you mention. Last time I was there, a little over a year ago, they had some nice pond plants and supplies too. I can't remember the name of it right off, but if you take Exit 61 and turn right, it is in the first shopping center on the left, back in the back. Another in the same area is Youngs which is the same exit but turn left for a few miles. It's a little over a mile across the SC/NC line. One more to try on that side of town is Fintastic, fish and pond supplies. They may have your spitters and lights. Also one more for very unique fountains and garden statuary is Black Lion over off HWY 51 close to Carolina Place Mall. There is some great shopping in that area and all are in a 10 to 15 mile radius. As for Myrtle Beach, I'm sure they have places, but I don't know where. LOL you can't pry me away from the pool and beach very much when I'm there. If you choose to shop at Charlotte, you will be about 3.5 hours away from your end destination. And if you continue down HWY 521, that is actually one of the main ways to Myrtle Beach. Check your maps and you may see it would be a good detour for you. Have fun, enjoy your vacation and good luck with your shopping trip!! :-)BTW, most all of these places have a web site, so you can check them out in advance.

• jcjcjcx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the great information. I'll be sure to check all these places on the internet beforehand..

Just got out my triptik...
    Funny that you mention Charlotte. I just checked my travel logs, it was back in 1994 that we last went through Charlotte for our route to MB (Myrtle Beach)... drove down I-77, slept overnight in Rock Hill, then somewhere cut over to Florence and then down the 501 to MB. Little did I know back then that I'd have a pond.

Since 1994, we've been to MB 4 times, but now always take the new highway I-74, staying overnight in Asheboro. Its a more direct route (anything helps when tyring to cut down the 1600 km (1000 miles) drive each way.). I doubt my husband would be willing to go the old route.

Hopefully I can find something along the within an hour drive from Myrtle Beach. Once settled in, maybe hubby would be willing to pop over somewhere. I see you listed quite a few places by Charlotte though. Thanks so much for the detailed info. (I'm going to keep your list handy in my purse.. just in case.... heeheehee). ;)

• aezarien
    15 years ago

lol... I don't know why but I thought you were talking about pawn shops. I know where a bunch of those are but no pond shops. Like Nanner said though, Charlotte is a good place to find things.

Have you tried searching for pond supply and Myrtle Beach? You might also find pond supplies at aquarium shops and pet shops.

I know there is a place on the way there that has statues and other garden decor but I couldn't tell you exactly where. It is on one of the major roads closer to the beach (74,85,95)and it is huge. If you are going that route you won't be able to miss it. How is that for some real Southern directions?

I apologize that I can not be more helpful. I do hope you enjoy your stay here though!

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

One of the places you ought to visit, if you haven't already, is Brookgreen Gardens (sculpture garden/estate), I think in Litchfield, south of MB. While I don't recall any pond supplies at the gift shop on my visit there this spring, they do have ponds and fountains all over the grounds. I would imagine that one of the grounds people there could suggest outlets in the area.

• jcjcjcx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I've been to Brookgreen Gardens... probably about 30+ years ago with my parents. I was just thinking I should go again.. this time bringing my kids.. just as my parents had brought us.

I wonder if it had changed much... it seemed so timeless back then.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?