Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bleeding Heart Blues

Posted by Southernnewbie z8, SC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 11:19

In early spring I planted a bleeding heart in my shade garden under our huge live oaks. It grew well and seemed fine until July. No matter how much I watered it, it died. As my forum name suggests, I am a newbie to the South. Did I make a crucial beginner's mistake with my bleeding heart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bleeding Heart Blues

Old-fashioned bleeding heart (Dicentra Spectabilis) naturally goes dormant by midsummer - it's the nature of the plant, it's what it does, and you cant stop it with watering or any other treatments.

It'll be back next spring better than ever. What is best is that bleeding heart not be a front and center focal point specimen - plant something in front of it so you won't have a gap in your garden when it's time to cut down the yellowed out bleeding heart

o

Southern newbie..here in the south, the heat makes bleeding heart do its dormancy much sooner than midsummer. Tell ya a story.. in Feb I was cleaning up the border where I had a wonderful white bleeding heart.
I collected and took the trash of sticks and leaves and tossed it on the brush pile in the forest behind the house.
Hubby died in April and back from his funeral I noticed something white, not in the ground back in the forest.

That white bleeding heart hung up among branches and brush was blooming it's fool head off upside down. I never knew I had pulled it out and tossed it until that sad time.

Moral of the story.. next spring when yours blooms, put some sort of stake marker because it's going to die back and disappear until the following spring.

o

Dottie, I am sorry to hear about your husband. :(

o

Dottie,
That is a wonderful story Dottie.
Thanks for sharing that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here