Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestion of what to plant in container

Posted by jilliebean9700 7a (nc) (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 11:55

i have a 3 tiered basket stand lined w/ cocoliners outside under my front door awning.it starts small and gradually gets larger in size.
i need suggestions as to what to plant in it for fall. i am stumped. it can be all one thing or 3 different plants that visually work together. it will get some sun but more shade.
here is a photo of the basket to help you visualize
thanks!!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestion of what to plant in container

• Posted by flower5 8 winterville NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 7:41

creeping jenny will fill in and hang down over the edge. might even overwinter to grow slowly again next year

o

A few options:

Huchera- it comes in a number of different colors from deep marroon, to peach, to chartruse green.

Euphorbia- there are some smaller varieties available. They will stay green through the winter and fall.

Lettuces or cabbages would look nice, though they may need more sun.

Pansies, snapdragons and pinks are all nice.

Ivy, creeping jenny or other trailing plants would make a nice addition to the mix.

o

• Posted by mfc1 z7NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 5, 11 at 19:48

One idea is to put in a perennial vine that will transition spring,summer and winter which will trail over the sides of the containers. Creeping Jenny is my favorite but this only really looks great summers. example:http://www.aboutvines.com/vinca_vine.shtml
The Kales would make a colorful addition for winter and Mustard Greens.

o

I like Vinca minor 'Illumination' as a cascader - it's evergreen, grows best without full blazing sun, and it takes a few years before it decides to take over the world at which time pruning will keep it under control.

As a filler I use Wire Vine, not really a vine but a tiny leaved ground cover Muehlenbeckia axillaris. If you can find the even tinier form Muehlenbeckia axillaris 'nana' it should work well. After a few seasons you have to cut these guys back, they can choke out just about anybody.

In the winter I use violas or pansies. I like to pair them with ornamental cabbage or Dusty Miller (the half tone pansies, with white edge and white top petals and wine red on the bottom half look great with the white leaves of Dusty Miller).

In the summer I would use Caladiums or begonias as long as your few hours of sun are not too harsh.

o

I second the wire plant. Great filler and tough. Stays evergreen in a protected location. I have some to trade at the fall swap if you want some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here