Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogridge

plum tree (fruiting)

dogridge
12 years ago

I LOVE plums and hope to have a tree or two in my garden. Anyone have experience growing them? If so, what conditions are they in? (full sun, part sun)

Comments (5)

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

In this area there are lots of pests and diseases that can affect plums/peaches/nectarines so most growers have to spray. There are some chemicals available now that are not as toxic as what folks used to spray with. You can also cover the trees with a net or screen, or put bags over the fruit while it is forming to keep pests off of them. There is also a type of clay powder that you can spray onto the tree which covers the surface completely and keeps pests away - of course your tree looks odd.

I've seen them growing in deep shade but they never produce fruit there. More sun in the summer means more blossoms the following spring (buds are formed during the summer). I imagine you could get away with half day sun, but in general the more sun, the more fruit.

One of the difficulties is allowing the fruit to fully ripen on the tree. Eventually every bird and squirrel learns to like plums just as much as you do. They never taste as good if you pick them early (the plums, not the squirrels!).

I'm planning on large cages to keep everyone away from my fruit next year.

• chas045
    12 years ago

I got a bunch of plums on my 3 year old tree without too much trouble except for being small; more steroids next year. My 5 yr old peach dropped a lot of fruit early and then was attacked by those June bugs??, the big green guys that look like huge japanese beetles, so I didn't get much.

You also have to worry about a late freeze. Anyway, I can't think of a fruit tree that doesn't want full sun.

• dogridge
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you have any varieties you recommend?

• chas045
    12 years ago

I am growing Santa Rosa. It is about as common as you can get. My neighbor said he was having success with one and it was available at Lowes. Remember, success is a relative thing. Our local ag. agent says 'you can grow any fruit you want as long as its blueberry'.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

I have a tiny Santa Rosa and a Damson. I have only gotten a few fruits from the Damson and wildlife nibbled those before they were ripe so I have no idea how they taste. My neighborhood is full of gardeners and there are plenty of old abandoned orchards which causes a problem - if no one is spraying or controlling diseases and pests, the disease and pests take over and invade everyone's fruit trees. So I will have to take extraordinary measures to get any edible fruit. You might check out the Edible Landscaping nursery up in Afton VA (just google edible landscaping). The climate is near ours and his varieties often do well here. It is only a four hour drive from Raleigh.