Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning my 3mth old crape myrtle

Posted by wectmall8 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 14:42

Hi,

we planted this tuscarora crape myrtle 3 mths ago. I have read a bit about it and realize that it is supposed to be a tree once it grows a bit. We planted it out front and want it to be a tree not a bush......Should we prune the bottom branches to encourage it to become a tree or should we let it grow some more before we prune the bottom branches near the trunk? We just want to be certain it grows into a tree as opposed to a bush/shrub.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning my 3mth old crape myrtle

I have only been here 9 years and was waiting for someone with more experience. Since they haven't shown up, I would suggest leaving it alone. You will have a better idea about trunk structure next year. I believe that the general rule is to have an odd number of trunks; 3, 5, or 7. You can see that this gives you a lot of leeway, and you can always decide later.

o

I've seen them braided and they look kind of neat when they get larger. I don't think it will be shrubby later on. Think more vase shaped with several trunks. You can prune them up later on as they grow so you have a canopy effect. I've seen where people will plant them every 6 or 8 feet and then prune them up so they mend together above so they provide a wide natural shade.

Whatever you decide, PLEASE do not train them as a single trunk and then prune off all the branches every spring. Crape Murder, people call it. They'll survive it, but they don't thrive.

o

Wait until Winter. Pruning now will encourage new growth that might not survive the Winer.

o

Wect,
Give it about 3 good years of growing in before you do anything to it.
Not this fall, but next fall you should being to see how the frame is growing in more, its a little baby now.
If, by the third year, you notice branches rubbing across each other, you should trim the branch that is growing up into another branch off. That way the branch that was rubbing will heal.
You can tim in March in the Carolinas, before it really leafs out, that way you get to see the frame better withou the leaves blocking your view.

o

Thanks for your responses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here