Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown plants

Posted by dtpforu 7a NC (dtpforu@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 15:25

can anyone help me identify these plants?
thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown plants

first one is ironweed.
second one, i'm not sure. I assume the flowers open fully to yellow daisies?

o

oops. Guess I should have scrolled down a bit huh. I have no idea on the second one, looks like a helianthus or a rudbeckia from the leaves.

o

Well, I guess I need to take a better picture of the stems on the yellow flowers. The stems are really different. They're not really square, but have tissue that makes them look square. You can see that somewhat by the picture, but I'll get a better picture of the stem lower down on the plant which shows it better. I'll do that next Wednesday when I'm back out at the park. We're labeling all the plants and this one is an unknown. It's right beside the Ironweed, and just as tall. If we can't identify it, we'll have to take it out. But, it's so pretty, I hate to do that. We'll figure it out. I'll post another picture when I can.

o

try posting to the ID forum- they are quick on the draw!

o

Get a picture of the back of the yellow flower - that can be fairly distinctive for identification.

o

It may be Wingstem, Verbesina alternifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbesina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here