Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spazzycat_1

Covered in bug bites

spazzycat_1
14 years ago

What are these bites? I must have 20 or so little bites (now bumps) on my back and arms from something that must have been microscopic because I sure didn't see the bugs that did this. They aren't chigger bites and they aren't mosquito bites. What is invisible and bites in groups?

My back is so itchy now, it's driving me crazy. I'm giving a friend a ride home from work today in exchange for him scratching my back. I mean, literally, scratching my back.

Comments (9)

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

There's like a million things it could be - it could also be an allergic reaction to something else including another bugs bite.

• spazzycat_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think it's a hyper allergic reaction. It doesn't have the characteristic of hives. The odd thing is this happened to me last year in August about the same time, but that time, I remembered being in a thicket of foliage, doing some gardening under a smoke tree. This time, all I did was stroll through the garden.

I had DH put some hydrocortisone cream on them this morning before I went to work, but it's itching inhibiting ability has long since worn off.

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

What about taking a benadryl pill? That will help at night anyway (it knocks me out).

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

No clue about the cause, but if it's a bite (not poison ivy or chiggers), two options to fix the itch are: ammonia applied with cotton ball (relief almost instant) and tea tree oil, which you need to test in a small spot to see if you're allergic. Both of these work for me on mosquito and spider bites. Sorry for the itch and good luck.

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Are you sure it isn't prickly heat? Sometimes it presents as what seems like a lot of little bites that make little raised bumps, and it itches terribly. Sometimes it's more of a rash type. Usually tend to get it in sweaty creased areas- along your waist, under breasts, under arms, that sort of thing, but you can get it almost anywhere if the conditions are right.

Joy- that is a wonderful tip- i've never heard of using ammonia before for bites! I like the smell of tea tree oil a lot better so i think i'll do that!

• bobs2
    14 years ago

Your bites might be from any of several insects that live in the grass and other vegetation. My wife has a violent, systemic reaction to bee/wasp stings, and she can also be very hyper-sensitive to insects that don't bother me at all. When we walk in the grass, she gets annoying bites, and I don't notice anything. Maybe she's sweeter and more attractive!

When I moved to the south last year, I read up on fire ants, since I had no experience with them at all. One article said to wipe fire ant bites with vinegar to stop the pain and itching. A few weeks later I was very glad that I remembered that piece of advice, because it does work. (I've also learned to stay on the cement when I take the dog out for his bedtime whiz.) Maybe vinegar would help on your bites if you don't mind smelling like a dressed salad.

• rlkarper
    14 years ago

I got the same kind of bites this August and last. Have never seen the bugs. Got some cream at WalMart called Chiggerex Plus. Really seems to help and stops the itching for quite a while. Smells like noxema.

• joydveenc7
    14 years ago

Chiggerx seems like a good thing to know about just in case! I noticed that one of the "anti-itch" products that came out within the past few years was mostly ammonia,and I had heard that this was a folk remedy for mosquito bites so I tried it when the itching was driving me nuts. It works great if you can stand the smell, as long as it's something similar to a mosquito bite. I think chiggers are in a different class.

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

The itchy sensation is caused by your own tissues producing histamines that signal your body that "somethings going on over here!" It doesn't matter if it poison ivy or bug bites or stings (which can have all sorts of other effects). You can control the itchiness by splashing the area with very hot water. The high heat causes your tissue to dump all its histamines at once (its a powerful itch sensation) and then it takes about 8 hours for the tissues to build up a new supply. The water has to be almost scalding and for me I have not work my way up to it, I have to step in and shower in the very hot water, otherwise the effect is less.