Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rootdiggernc

Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

rootdiggernc
15 years ago

There are like 5 systems down in the NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO... 4 of which have a med to high probability of tropical cyclone formation in the next 48 hours. Been a while since I've seen it this active.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook

Comments (9)

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

We are totally soaked here from the remnants of Fay. Some areas of Charlotte got close to a foot of rain. Amazing that Fay held that much moisture over land so far from water.

Thanks for posting this and the link of what's to come.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

While I would hate for anyone to have damage and destruction from the storms.. we need the rains. The lakes here are pitifully dry and everything is suffering. I'm glad that Fay brought so much rain and hope for more from other storms.

• rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • rootdiggernc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, this one shows Gustav and Hanna in the same screen. Pretty incredible looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Path

• aezarien
    15 years ago

Feels oddly reminiscent of Hugo. Hopefully Gustav has provided enough of a buffer where we won't see another one of those this time around. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on though.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

I agree completely aezarien!! I lived thru Hugo and actually saw the eye come over my house. One of the weirdest, most fascinating, and scary things I've ever seen. The eerie quiet and stars in the sky, then the wall of rain and wind coming right for you was something I hope to never see again. Even being a waining Cat 1 when it hit me, the force was unreal. To watch tall trees bend over and touch the ground and the transformers on power poles blow up like a fireworks show is unreal. Not to mention walking out of your apartment the next morning and finding the roof of a carwash that was a quarter of a mile away laying in your parking lot! I was without power for 10 days and the cleanup was horrendous. We chose to go to the in laws in Western NC because they had power and we had a 2 week old infant. Hanna is looking so much like Hugo, it's concerning me. I'm much further to the south now and I'm sure being about 80 to 90 miles off the coast, we are going to feel it pretty good here. But on the good side, it does seem we are returning to our regular weather pattern of tropical storms raining out over our region. I heard on one weather report the other day that "La Nina" (SP) has released the hold that was keeping us in a dry pattern and we should return to normal or above normal rainfall by November.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

It's hard to believe I was 16 when that storm rolled through. Now I have a kid that is 15!

I had just started working at Shoney's on East Independence that week and was still in training when I kind of just got thrown out there to fend for myself. And we were the first well known place to actually get power and could serve hot food and cold drinks. I guess Duke Power wasn't going to do without the breakfast bar lol. I didn't think I was ever going to make it through that event.

I remember the Kroger on Wendover boarding up the windows and standing in line because only a few people were allowed in at a time.

We lived in apartments as well and Mom went out front and built this makeshift grill on the stoop. We boiled eggs for breakfast that next day to keep them from going bad.

What a trip...

In retrospect though, our city handled that event pretty well. It could have been a lot worse.

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Oh wow aezarien! I couldn't imagine working in a restaurant with power then!! The lines for gas and ice were unbelievable!! My ex worked over on E. Indep. at the old Town and Country Ford site in a computer store. When we got over there to check on the store the next day, the National Guard was flying over the parking lot guarding against looters. The glass showroom windows had been blown out on the store, and the awnings were gone, we tried to secure things as best we could before heading out to Fletcher to his parents house. A few minutes after we got there, the owner arrived with a good supply of plywood and screws. As you said, what a trip!! Yes, Charlotte did handle Hugo very well. I was very proud of how our area responded to the crisis, there was little problems and mostly neighbor helping neighbor. LOL I remember calling a day care up the street from my apt. many times to see if they had power yet before coming back home. In retrospect, being out here in the sticks, I'm going into town tomorrow and picking up a generator and a new grill to replace the one the little bluebirds built a nest in this spring, and some other basic supplies. I've been meaning to do this as we are on our own power line here, but this is making it important to do right now. Batten down the hatches my friend and stay safe!! :-)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia