Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirlz5

Moving from Prairie to SC Coast?

prairiegirlz5
9 years ago

First, some background info. We have been working on the garden here in the Chicago suburbs for more than 10 years and have an extensive list of trees, shrubs and perennials, a long list of plants I know and love. We are considering a move to Charleston, probably not for another year or so. I am looking forward to a longer growing season, and to leaving tropical bulbs like canna and dahlias in the ground, growing fruit trees in big pots, lots of scented flowers, etc. Are there any specific plants that don't grow well down there that do great up here? This year I grew Joe-pye weed, Agastache 'Blue Fortune' and blackberry lilies together and it looked stunning. Can I grow ornamental grasses and sedums down there? How do coneflowers and phlox do? Dogwoods are my backbone "tree", as we need winter color, winter is sooo long and cold. I also have oak-leaf hydrangeas, KO roses, and viburnums. I'm also looking forward to growing lots of vines and vertical vegetable gardening, to soften the courtyard walls or disguise the backyard fence (not sure where we will live yet, downtown or James Island most likely). Do daylilies and hostas thrive in the heat down there? These two are go-to plants for filling empty spaces, very easy and hardy. But I'll be able to grow "houseplants" in the ground!! If you moved there, what plants did you bring/miss? TIA for your replies, I'm excited but scared, more emotional than I ever thought I would be. Silly goose.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz