Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by Southernnewbie none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:06

We bought a house in Feb. that formerly belonged to a masterful gardener. While I know most of the plants, some confound me. Anyone know what this is? It's taller than I am, doesn't bloom, doesn't have a distinctive smell and aphids ADORE it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:11

And where are you ?

o

Hartsville, SC, z8 very sandy soils

o

Here's another pic:

o

Sort of reminds me of Milkweed plant.
It can get really tall, mine are and they are young. Especailly the tropical kind.
They don't need alot of water either.
If it is milkweed, I don't know why it's not blooming.
Does it get alot of sun/
Well, see if you like it this year, whatever it is.
If you don't, you can always just pull it out and plant something else.
Google tropical milkweed. See if it looks like what you have.

o

Looks like Maximilians Sunflower to me. The leaves are bit narrow but that could be because of the location. Wait til fall when they bloom. They're one of the prettiest wild flowers out there - but they will also take over the world and require a lot of work to keep in line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here