Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping with pecan trees

Posted by meadowmom sc, zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 18:22

I have a huge, lovely old pecan tree in my front yard. I'm trying to reduce the amount of lawn I have to mow, and I'd like to make this tree the anchor of an island bed. But I'm not sure what to plant that will thrive. It is shady of course, but not dense. Grass grows right up to the trunk. Any suggestions. It is dang hot here in the summer, and y'all know about the humidity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping with pecan trees

Forgot to mention - I live southeast of Columbia, in the middle of the state.

o

Daylilies (Hemerocallis) will do very well in filtered shade and come in so many wonderful colors. Hostas love shade and will be a nice compliment with their crinkly, rounded leaves. The foliage ranges from chartruese to green to blue and there are variegated ones, too. If the shade is not dense, you may be better off with the blue-foliaged varieties that are more sun tolerant. Campanulas would be an additional compliment and come in many varieties, sizes and shapes, mostly in blue-purple tones or whites, but sometimes in other colors.

o

meadowmom, first..pecan trees/leaves/roots/nuthusks contain juglone..not near as much as a black walnut tree but sufficient to deter your success with many kinds of plants.
Do some research on which plants tolerate some juglone before you invest heavily in landscape plants/flowers to pretty up the area around that tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here