Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerai_gw

lady bank's rose propagation

kerai
17 years ago

Is it possible to root cuttings of Lady Bank's rose? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Kerai

Comments (13)

• K
    17 years ago

I think it is possible. I cut some earlier this summer and put them in dirt. One seems to have taken. I did use Rootone.
    Kitty

• kerai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your reply.It wasn't forwarded to me by GW, so I didn't know. I also put some in dirt and with rooting hormone, for a while they seemed to be doing fine and then I lost them. My rooting hormone might not have worked. Time to get a new one :-) Did you put it in shade? Thanks again.

• K
    17 years ago

Yes, it's been in shade the whole time and I keep the soil moist. I also removed all but one leaf.

• K
    17 years ago

Hi, Annie,
    I have the double white. Wonderful fragrance. I've never heard of a pink Lady Banks!
    K.

• kerai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also have never heard of a Pink one. Thought only there are yellow and white. I don't have any yet - got few cuttings from a friend and lost them. Thanks for the info. I'd try again.

I live in Columbia,SC too.

• Annie
    17 years ago

Well,

I guess Lady Bank's doesn't come in a pink variety. Perhaps what I saw was mislabled, or maybe the white blooms turn pinkish when they age. My New Dawn roses change from a soft, pale pink to a deep pink as they age. That might explain why it was pink.
    I would love to have a white one.

Lady Bank's are not supposed to do well in my zone - too cold in winter - but I planted mine against the front porch (concrete base) on the southwest corner. It gets winter protection and winter southern sun, plus benefits from the sun's heat absorbed by the concrete and bricks. Anyway, it has become a mass of a rose canes and is covered in delicate yellow blooms in the spring. I just love it. It makes the daintiest little rose hips, too.

Thanks guys,
    Annie

• katiedidcottage
    16 years ago

Just search for propagating Lady Banks Roses and found this old thread. I purchased 3 last year that were labeled "Purple" but the actual blooms appear to be more pink to me. I also purchase 3 yellow. The year before I got 6 white and thought that was all I could ever get. I used them on every other post of my 4 foot chain link fence to make a privacy screen.

I want to try to propagate the purple one so I can give some away to a friend. I'll try some of your methods.

Thanks!
    Katie

• basil_davis2
    16 years ago

Will lady's bank rose do OK in shade?

• jerryngeorgia31557
    15 years ago

I have several yellow and was told that is the only color it comes in. I would love to swap cutting with pink. Please drop me an email and do it.
    Thanks.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

There is a white-flowered form of the Lady Banksia rose (_Rosa banksiae alba_) that is available from high quality mail-order nurseries like ForestFarm.

• maxiegleaton_gmail_com
    13 years ago

what time of the year do i propagate the lady banks,that it will do best.

• pvanderven_uwmalumni_com
    13 years ago

I purchased red banks roses last summer.