Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Crepe Myrtle?

Posted by harmonyfarms 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 20:05

I need a smaller crepe myrtle. No larger than 6 feet at maturity. Doesn't matter what color. Does it exist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Crepe Myrtle?

At BB's where I work we have 'little chief' which is a dwarf bush form that grows 3-4 feet high and 3-4 feet wide. I don't know where you are located but if you are anywhere near the Sanford area we are including them in our closeout annual sale which is less than 1.00 a plant. Adele

o

Someone posted the url below in another thread - it lists crepe myrtle varieties by size, color, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crepe myrtle varieties

o

Lowes and Home Depot both carry a new series of CM that are actually "shrubs" rather that "trees". I beleive it is the Razzmatazz collection. Comes in several pinks and reads, not sure about white. I bought one last year and love it.

o

Check out the many crepe myrtles at Ecolage. They have lots of dwarfs, semi-dwarfs & even a ground cover variety. Also, they have a top rating from Garden Watchdog as a mail order source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecolage

o

In other parts of the county where crape myrtles are unreliable as "trees" folks will just run them over with the lawn mower each fall and the new growth the following spring will make a bush about 5 feet tall. Since they bloom on new wood, keeping them as bushes makes for quite a show.

o

There's a place in Gainesville, FL that has a patent on Crape Myrtle bushes that grow between 2 to 4 feet tall and the same amount wide. I just called them last week and they have tons of colors. I think I found them on crapemyrtle.com

o

We have a 'white chocolate' and it is such a trooper! First, it had frost damage, so I carefully trimmed off the damage. Then, the JB's devoured it and I just took the hedge trimmer to it to cut off the damage and tried to give it a decent form in spite of the wreck it was in. Right now, in 103 degree heat in the middle of my full sun southern-exposed open meadow, the little thing is BLOOMING gorgeous white blooms!

Cameron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here