Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadedstepchild75

What the heck is that shrubs name?

My uncle used to have this bushy shrub in his yard along the pathway to his back door that smelled so good. Very spicy.....he called it a spice bush.

I remember during one of our fieldtrips to Tanglewood Park during Horitculture classes also passing by one of these bushes near the house...over by the trellis covered with Clematis......also over near the HUGE black walnut tree.

Does anyone know if this bush is actually called a spice bush? Is there such a thing? lol

If so...I have to get my hands on one, it smelled so glorious! lol

Does anyone know what the heck i'm talking about? hehe

Comments (13)

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Any blooms on it, or did the foliage or bark smell when bruised/crushed? If so, what was the bloom color? Any idea about the foliage shape/size? How large was it? Any idea if it was deciduous or evergreen? There's more than one shrub that's commonly called "spice bush", so some more detail will be helpful.

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

It's probably Calycanthus which has a red bloom and fragrant. There's also Lindera benzoin. You can google them to see which one looks like the one you know.

• love2gardennc
    15 years ago

Most likely calycanthus floridus aka, sweet shrub, Carolina allspice, sweet bubby. Perhaps the spice came from the allspice.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never seen it flower. It has a very spicy smell when you move against it....and when the wind is blowing you can smell it.
    The leaves were very dark green with a bumpy texture...and the leaves were crispy....not plyable or thin...but thick and crispy.
    Maybe I can go to the Tanglewood website and find out what it is. lol

Thank you for responding though....all the help I can get is appreciated!!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Based on your description of the leaves, it does sound like Calycanthus floridus.

Lindera benzoin is another shrub specifically called spicebush, but the leaves you describe would not match it.

• aezarien
    15 years ago

.. Where did you take your hor classes? I just ordered some books off a random NC college syllabus I found online to get more edu-macated on the topic and would love to hear about some of the books you used in class.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took my classes at Forsyth Tech in Winston-Salem, NC.

I might still have some of my old textbooks at my parents house. The next time I go to visit i'll see if they got moved with them or if they didn't. lol

If not...I replied to your other post with some good resources. If your local community college doesn't offer classes....let me know. The Clemson ext. office is not too far from my house, and I might be able to pick up some info for you.
    I strongly recommend taking the Master Gardeners program!!!

• rootdiggernc
    15 years ago

Red, did you figure it out yet?

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    15 years ago

You may have some of my Spice Bush, plenty to share with you.

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

There is no need to look through old texts. You can just put Calycanthus floridus into google and look at image results to let us know if that is correct. Good luck!

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

Be careful in buying this. I am almost certain that this is the plant where many clones in the horticultural trade do NOT have that nice smell. Make sure yours do.

• Laura
    15 years ago

I grew up calling this Sweet Betsy; We had a really old bush in the backyard, and when I got my own place it was one of the first things I planted. I bought a bush from the garden center that's now gone, up at the Farmer's Market. Not disapointed, the scent is true and strong.

{{gwi:584450}}

• tamelask
    15 years ago

I grew up in the north calling it strawberry bush (scent and color), but i've heard sweet betsy, sweet bubby, carolina allspice and others. Whatever you call them, they're great shrubs.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus