Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Does anyone Grow Sugar Cane in SC

joefalco
15 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone grows this and what your comments are on this plant?

Does it make a good ornamental plant? Are there any practical uses for this plant and if it does grow well in SC where can I get some to start it?

I really know nothing about it yet and am curious to try and grow this plant.

Comments (2)

• Dibbit
    15 years ago

A friend in Greenville County has an ornamental clump - I seem to recall that she called it blue sugar cane when she gave me a small clump - she said it was MUCH more blue in her old place, but greener here. She dug it up and moved it from Raleigh about 7 years ago - using large equipment, I am sure, since the present clump is about 8' across and 10-12' high. Mine has been sitting in a pot, under an oak tree, for too long - I imagine, when I finally decide where I need a statement of such size, that I will have to tear off the pot and dig out the roots from the ground! But it survived last winter just fine - granted it was a mild winter.....

I don't know where she got it, maybe from Plants Delight.....?

• dellare
    15 years ago

Both Niche Gardens and Plant Delights sell saccharum arundinaceum (hardy sugar cane) mail order. Its a HUGE plant. I am growing it here in Carthage in my sand so it is struggling and small since its planted in an area that never gets any additional water except rain. We sell it at BB's for less than half the price of those two but we don't do mail order. Adele

Here is a link that might be useful: Saccharum arundinaceum