Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lat4005

Help with Identification

lat4005
13 years ago

I took some photos around the yard the other day and am trying to figure out what all I have an dhow to take care of them all. :) Can anyone help me identify anything in these photos please?

1) {{gwi:584667}}

2) {{gwi:584668}}

3) {{gwi:584669}}

4) {{gwi:584671}}

{{gwi:584673}}

5) {{gwi:584675}}

6) {{gwi:584677}}

7) {{gwi:584678}}

8) {{gwi:584680}}

9) {{gwi:584682}}

1. {{gwi:584683}}

2. {{gwi:584684}}

3. {{gwi:584685}}

4. {{gwi:584686}}

5. {{gwi:584687}}

Comments (6)

• transplanted2scin07
    13 years ago

#1 appears to be a young Lenton Rose. #2 is an Azelea shrub that appears to have spider mite damage. #3 looks like a shrub called Eunoymous elatus, but could be something else. I have no idea what #4 and 5 are. #6 looks like #3. #7 is a young Oak tree seedling, #8 & #9 ??? I don't recognize these. #10 is Gaillardia, a perennial. #11 is Russian Sage, another perennial. #12 appears to be one of the Chrysanthemums. #13 I don't recognize. #14 has several plants in the photo. All the way to the left is a variegated Liriope. Moving right there is a Chrysanthemeum with a small Sweetgum tree seedling in front of it. All the way to the right looks like a spent Daylily. #15 is Nandina. #16 - could that be a Persimmon tree seedling? #17 - I don't know what this is but it's GORGEOUS! #18 and #19 I'm not sure of. #20 is Salvia greggii. #21 looks like a Lorapetalum

• tamelask
    13 years ago

the 2 shots of 4 are the same plant- balloon flower- platycodon (you're seeing the seed heads- cut them off and you may get more bloom).
    5 is a young sassafras tree/bush.
    8 and 9 are salvias- 8 looks like lipstick, out of bloom, but could be any color, and 9 is one of the thinner leaved varieties.
    13 looks like aster to me.
    17 is a bear claw hellebore. Let it reseed as it tends to not be as long lived as the other hellebore you have.
    16 and 18 looks similar to me, but it's hard to tell. i don't think they are persimmons. 18 also has what looks to be cast iron plant or perhaps a ginger (non hardy) popping up (but unless they threw out some hands of root you shouldn't have that).
    I can't tell for 19 b/c of the light- possibly another sage.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

18 looks like that native tree Arrowwood or maybe Sourwood, the one that turns dark red/maroon in the fall. The bulbs around it look like Calla's that are growing in the shade. When my throwaways sprouted in my compost pile deep in the woods thats what they looked like. They would never bloom without more light.

• lat4005
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so very much! This is SO helpful! I am now wondering if I need to move some of these plants and how to trim them up and allow them to grow stronger in the coming year. This has been fun trying to figure everything out!

• tamelask
    13 years ago

I'd say if the prior owner was a decent gardener (and the plant selection says they knew a little) i'd leave them where they are for a year and observe. If you decide to go ahead and move them, i'd do it while stuff is dormant or nearly so, later this fall or even early winter.

The hellebores, esp, don't like being moved when large. They look fairly happy anyhow. The salvias are so easy to propagate from cuttings, you could do that and put more where you might want them while leaving the original where it was. Sassafras is nearly impossible to move- leave it be. Balloon flower has deep roots- try to get them all if you move it and it should move fine- perhaps do it when it's going dormant. They emerge a bit on the late side so mark it wherever it ends up so you don't plant something on top of it. Callas are easy to move to the sun- lift the bulbs. They like moist soil, and will multiply well if you can site them somewhere partly sunny & moist (ditch?). The mum & aster both spread via running roots and it'll be difficult to get it all- you can move some but it'll probably come back where it was. If you don't want them there, round it up after you move some and are sure they have established in the new spot. The oak seedling's much the same- hard to get it all out, and it'll come back from any roots left. It looks small but the roots go deep. The loropetalum looks a bit big to move but if you get a big enough root ball, it should be ok. Trim it back when you move it so the top is balanced to the bottom. I'd try later this fall when it cools off- they are evergreen, so it's much better to wait for it to be 'asleep'. Not sure how picky sourwood are- seems like Brenda has said they resent moving after they are fairly small. The euonymus looks too big to mess with to me, and looks happy where it is. The russian sage and gaillardia are very small and if you have sunny areas, will love those spots. I think the small nandinias move fine so long as you get a the whole root ball, but it looks pretty happy where it is. Good luck!

• lat4005
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I will probably leave all of these for the next year then with the exception of the Calla Lillies. They are in total shade and I dont' think will do well there...they look spindly to me but maybe they are supposed to? I will just see what everything looks like in the Spring/Summer up there and decide then I guess. Can focus on other areas of the yard for the fall. :)