Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mapooh

Did I make mistake on Garlic Seed? HELP!

MaPooh
11 years ago

I ordered my garlic seed for this falls planting. I intended to buy Early Italian Purple (softneck) but I was up late (as I am now) and accidentally purchased Italian Purple (hardneck). I am in SE North Carolina and everything I am reading says that this variety will not do well here. The farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold winter this year and I was thinking of trying it anyway. (Yes, I follow the Almanac - My Mom swore by it) I have considered refrigerating the seed before planting, but I am just not sure if that will help for fall planting. If I do it, I was thinking 6 weeks of refrigeration and then planting on Nov. 3-4 in my raised garden bed. (Almanac again). Any advice? Am I wasting precious garden space even trying?

Comment (1)

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I don't think you'll have any problems. I think a lot of the catalog descriptions are hype or exaggerated and I think the differences in handling garlic is tiny. The weather is gonna play a much bigger roll than the variety and you can't control the weather.

I plant at Thanksgiving and harvest at the Fourth of July. Refrigerate if you want but watch that the bulbs don't get too dry.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor